Librarian 1 (Digital Production)
Southern Methodist University
The Digital Production Librarian (a Librarian I position) supports the primary
mission of the Norwick Center for Digital Services - the digitizing,
annotating and presentation via the web of items from CUL special collections.
Working with the Digital Collections developer as well as staff, student
workers, curators, stakeholders, and partners, the Digital Production
Librarian will play a prominent role in metadata creation, digitization,
digital collections management, and digital archiving so that digital projects
are completed in a timely manner.
This position remains active professionally and contributes to scholarship in
* Management and implementation of digitization projects from start to finish, as assigned.
* Metadata creation, quality control and digitization.
* File uploading, digital archiving and administration of the CUL digital archive using content management systems (currently CONTENTdm and MediaBank).
* Documentation of best practices and standards for CUL Digital Collections, report and grant writing support, creation of web content and outreach materials, etc.
* Training for staff and students relating to metadata creation, digitization and other topics.
* Promotion of CUL Digital Collections.
* Assist with other duties, as assigned.
Education and Experience:
* ALA-accredited master's degree in Library or Information Science is required. Coursework and experience using metadata standards used in digital collections (Dublin Core, MARC, MODS, etc.) is also required.
* A minimum of one year experience in digitization, metadata creation, digital asset management systems and digital preservation is required.
* Experience with content management systems is required.
* Previous experience in an academic library or cultural heritage institution is preferred.
* Experience with imaging software and audio and video creation software is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* Candidate must demonstrate strong verbal and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to build relationships with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
* Must demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively in writing.
* A strong customer service orientation is essential.
* Must possess the ability to handle and transport special collections.
* Candidate must possess strong problem solving skills with the ability to identify and evaluate problems, as well as devise effective solutions.
* Must possess strong organizational, planning and time management skills to effectively prioritize and manage multiple projects.
* Candidate must possess the ability to analyze digital objects and create descriptive metadata.
* Must possess the ability to follow established procedures and to perform work requiring considerable attention to detail and accuracy.
* Candidate must have a strong work knowledge of Windows and Mac operating systems, Microsoft Office products, email, and web browsers; Adobe products, including Photoshop.
* Knowledge of best practices in the handling of special collections materials is preferred.
* Background in project management is a plus.
* The position requires the ability to push and pull, sit for long periods of time, and handle delicate objects (dexterity).
* Please submit a resume, cover letter and the names of three references, who will be asked to submit letters of recommendation for final candidates.
All documents should be combined into one document and uploaded as the
applicant's resume on the online application for this position.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/20776/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/