Research Support & Data Services Librarian, Social Sciences Libraries
New York City
The Columbia University Libraries/Information Services invites nominations and
applications for the position of Research Support & Data Services Librarian in
the Social Sciences Libraries. The Libraries seek an innovative,
knowledgeable, and service-oriented professional to support research and data
services and technologies for the social science disciplines. The successful
applicant will be an adaptive problem-solver familiar with social science
research methodologies and the use of quantitative and qualitative data.
The Research Support & Data Services Librarian is responsible for providing
support for social science research, including the use of quantitative and
qualitative data and data applications, to faculty, students, and staff, and
for identifying and assisting in the implementation of new library
technologies related to social science research and data. As a member of the
team providing research and data support in the Digital Social Science Center,
the incumbent will assist students, faculty, and researchers with social
science research projects and will aid users in finding and using qualitative
and quantitative data, including offering training and guidance in the use of
data analysis and social science research software. The incumbent will work
with colleagues within the division and across the Libraries to provide
coordinated support for research and data services and technologies and will
coordinate the efforts of the Social Sciences Division with regard to support
for undergraduate services and programming.
Reporting to the Data Services Coordinator, the Research Support & Data
Services Librarian will engage emerging technologies and explore innovative
services to support new research methods and data applications in the social
sciences. The incumbent will assist with the management and support of the
Libraries' quantitative and qualitative data collection, including data
catalog records. The incumbent will also participate on Libraries-wide task
forces and working groups and will represent the organization at appropriate
regional and national forums.
One of the world's leading research universities, Columbia provides
outstanding opportunities to work and grow in a unique intellectual community.
Set in the Morningside Heights academic village, Columbia also presents the
unmatched dynamism, diversity and cultural richness of New York City. The
University Libraries, grounded in collections of remarkable depth and breadth,
are also building extensive electronic resources and services. The Libraries
at Columbia are committed to collegiality, professionalism, innovation and
We offer a salary commensurate with qualifications and excellent
Minimum Degree Required: MLS or PhD or equivalent
All applicants MUST meet these minimum qualifications to be considered for the
position. - Advanced degree in a social science or related discipline such as
economics, political science, statistics, library and information science,
data science, etc., or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of or experience with social science research methodologies.
- Knowledge of or experience using quantitative and qualitative data.
- Knowledge of quantitative data analysis applications such as SPSS, Stata, R. etc.
- Familiarity with web design and online services, including the ability to write effectively for the web.
- Aptitude for teaching and developing instructional content and documentation.
- Strong public service orientation.
- Excellent analytical, organizational, oral and written communications and interpersonal skills.
Preferred Qualifications: - Knowledge of or experience working with
qualitative research tools such as NVivo, Atlas.ti, etc.
- Knowledge of or experience working with spatial analysis tools such as ArcGIS, QGIS, CartoDB, etc.
- Knowledge of metadata standards for quantitative and qualitative data.
- Understanding of research data management planning.
- Ability to work independently with varied user groups in a complex organization and function collaboratively in a rapidly changing team environment.
- Experience providing research support in an academic library setting.
- Demonstrated record of success designing projects and bringing them to a conclusion in a timely fashion.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/20786/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/