Michigan Technological University
Michigan Technological University's Van Pelt and Opie Library welcomes
applications for the position of web developer. This is an exciting
opportunity to work with a wide variety of library technologies to provide
exceptional service to the various constituents that utilize library services
both in-building and remotely. Emphasis is placed on creating innovative
interfaces and digital media solutions that work seamlessly to provide a
highly interactive experience. Michigan Technological University is an Equal
Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer, which includes
providing equal opportunity for protected veterans and individuals with
To apply, visit:
Learn more about Michigan Tech and Houghton, Michigan:
Campus Profile: [http://www.mtu.edu/campus/](http://www.mtu.edu/campus/)
**Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)**
1. Provide leadership in the development and further integration of existing
web applications to provide library users effective methods of interacting
with the library and its resources.
2. Implement and integrate new web applications into the library's web
presence as indicated by needs for improvement or innovation.
3. Utilize the university's content management system to maintain, update, and
develop the core library website.
4. Develop and implement innovative methods to provide
interoperability/integration among the library's wide-variety of online
services and applications.
5. Provide technical leadership for the library's digital signage initiatives.
6. Participate in the design and conduct of evidence-based approaches for
continuous improvement including usability studies, analytics and reporting.
7. Demonstrate effective skills to communicate the status of work and input
needed in a timely manner.
8. Develop and supervise student assistants that support routine web and
digital signage updates.
**Required Education (minimum requirements)**
Bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience
from which applicable knowledge and abilities can be acquired.
**Required Experience (minimum requirements)**
● 2 years professional experience working in web development or a similar
● Experience working effectively and harmoniously in a team-based environment.
● Experience working independently to achieve results within a highly
**Desirable Education and/or Experience**
● Experience integrating a variety of web applications and platforms utilizing
APIs and/or web services or other common methods used to consume a variety of
● Experience working in an academic environment.
● Experience working in an academic library.
● Experience designing and conducting usability tests and/or utilizing web
analytics reporting tools.
**Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum requirements)**
such as jQuery.
● Expertise with HTML and CSS.
● Demonstrated experience with at least one web programming language (e.g.,
PHP, Java, Python, Perl, Ruby).
● Experience in using and interpreting web standards (browsers, accessibility,
● Proficiency with Macintosh, Windows and Linux/UNIX environments.
● Commitment to clear and concise documentation.
● Commitment to effective time management.
● Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries
and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty, and staff.
● Demonstrated commitment to contribute to a safe work environment.
● Commitment to proactive continuous quality improvement in everyday work and
organizational/institutional quality initiatives.
**Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities**
● Demonstrated knowledge of CMS theory.
● Demonstrated understanding of user interface and user experience principles.
● Experience programming with Ajax.
● Experience configuring and using database software such as mySQL
● Experience with XML and XSLT.
● Experience with common library systems such as an ILS, link resolver,
discovery layer, repositories.
● Experience with a digital signage system or solution.
● Previous supervisory experience.
● Exceptional communication skills.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/21607/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/