Library Applications and Systems Manager
Seattle Public Library
The Library Applications and Systems Manager provide for the effective
delivery of library services by supervising technical staff, managing the
operation of key library applications and databases, and developing plans to
help the Library achieve its strategic goals. This position reports to the
Director of Information Technology, and works alongside the Infrastructure and
Support Services Manager. In addition,
the Manager is expected to participate in strategic planning activities and
contribute to other aspects of overall library management.
The Library Applications and Systems Manager has diverse and variable
supervisory responsibilities that include selecting, training, and evaluating
technical staff, contractors, temporary project employees, and others. The
Manager must also work with systems analysts and technicians who support large
applications and database projects. The Manager also collaborates closely with
staff in other library units such as Cataloging, Circulation, Materials
Handling and Distribution, and Selection Services.
The Seattle Public Library is Seattle's center of information and knowledge
and one of the most popular and valued services in the
city. Library staff is highly regarded by the public for
their knowledge, quality of service and caring. Staff members are committed to
the Library's organizational values of respect, partnership, engagement,
diversity, transparency and recognition. In particular, they demonstrate
respect, engage in partnerships, and are transparent in their communications
and intentions. A strategic priority of the Library is to foster an internal
culture of innovation which focuses on creativity, engagement, learning and
staff development. If you share those values and meet the qualifications, the
Library invites you to apply for this position.
Applications and Systems Team Management
* Supervise and direct the work of a team of four staff that is responsible for managing core library information systems, databases, and other applications.
* Contribute to the development and maintenance of a strong team dynamic within the IT department, and provide support and assistance with individual team member professional development and growth.
* Work closely with the Manager of Infrastructure and Support Services and the Network Team to resolve issues, provide effective change and configuration management, and coordinate upgrade projects.
* Advise the Director of Information Technology on needs related to software and hardware, budget, training, communications, and other support.
* Serve as project manager for application and system selections, implementations, upgrades, and maintenance work.
* Serve as lead on procurement projects, including developing Requests for Proposals (RFP's), developing functional requirements, evaluation vendor solutions, and negotiating service level agreements.
* Develop and maintain strong relationships with vendors of library services, and advocate for the interests of the library in those relationships.
* Serve as a member of the library's management team and participate in related activities and decisions.
* Represent the IT department on library committees and work groups.
* Attend local, regional, and national conferences and workshops, and contribute to user groups and partner communities.
Integrated Library System
* Responsible for maintaining normal operations of the library's Integrated Library System (ILS) - currently SirsiDynix Horizon - and its associated support systems, such as EZProzy, SIP servers, and RFID-based circulation systems.
* Manage team members who have direct responsibility for maintaining the servers, databases, and applications related to the ILS, and ensure that optimal performance is maintained and best practices are followed.
* Collaborate with library stakeholders on developing and implementing ILS optimizations, integrations, and functionality that support the business needs of the library.
Online Discovery System
* Serve as the primary contact and collaborator with the library's service provider, BiblioCommons, regarding the operation and development of their online public access catalog discovery interface.
* Actively participate in the BiblioCommons user community to advocate for functionality and architecture development of the BiblioCommons platform.
* Actively engage with developers and project teams at BiblioCommons regarding library interests and projects.
Library Staff Intranet
* Responsible for maintaining normal operations of the library's SharePoint-based Intranet.
* Manage team members who have direct responsibility for maintaining the servers, databases, and applications related to the Intranet, and ensure that optimal performance is maintained and best practices are followed.
* Collaborate with library stakeholders on prioritizing and planning application development projects for the SharePoint platform.
* Serve as sponsor of the Intranet Advisory Committee, a cross-functional committee that is responsible for the overall structure and architecture of the Intranet.
Library Data and Information Management
* Responsible for managing data related to the performance of library operations, such as circulation, library use, and other measures.
* Responsible for securing library data to protect patron privacy.
* Manage team members who have direct responsibility for developing and maintaining data extract-transform-load processes, data transformations, and data reporting.
* Provide leadership and orchestrate the development of a library data warehouse that will serve as the repository for summary and aggregate data needed for analytics and decision support.
* Collaborate with library stakeholders on providing data and information in formats that help meet library business needs.
Other Applications Support
* Responsible for maintaining normal operations and integrations for other library applications as needed.
* A Bachelor's degree and minimum of five years' experience working as a manager in an Information Technology department, organization, or related area; or a combination of education and demonstrated experience performing the full-range of job responsibilities. A Master's of Library Science (or a Master's of Library and Information Science) degree from an ALA-accredited library school is desired.
* Demonstrated experience applying the principles of systems integration, methods of systems analysis and application and database management and programming; and knowledge of multiple platforms, including Windows and Unix server systems.
* Minimum of 3 years of experience designing, configuring, administering and managing the security, operations, and documentation of large, complex applications and databases.
* Minimum of 3 years of experience managing a team of information technology professionals.
* Minimum of 3 years of IT project management experience that includes planning, evaluating, budgeting, resource allocation, scheduling, coordinating, documentation, administration and contractor and vendor relations.
* A track record of effectively communicating and evaluating technical information with staff, the public, vendors, and technical personnel, both verbally and in writing; and ability to train technical and library staff as needed.
* Demonstrated experience eliciting and documenting technical and non-technical user needs and to initiate problem resolution.
* Demonstrated experience evaluating complex information and emerging issues in the use of advanced technology, communications and user needs in library environments.
* Demonstrated commitment to diversity, inclusion and equity within the organization and throughout service delivery.
* A commitment to intellectual freedom and to the Library's missions and goals.
* Experience working with or supporting an Integrated Library System (ILS), including circulation, cataloging, and patron account management functions.
* Experience working with RFID-based library checkout and circulation systems.
* Experience working in a large, multi-site public or academic library system, especially in IT or technical services.
* Experience developing or working with a data warehouse, including knowledge of data structures, extract-transform-load processes, data analysis, and data reporting.
* Experience working with complex procurement procedures, Request for Purchase (RFP) processes, negotiating with vendors and service providers, reviewing and understanding contracts and service level agreements.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/21504/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/