arXiv Operations Manager
Cornell University Library's Digital Scholarship and Preservation Services
unit seeks an arXiv Operations Manager who will be responsible for overseeing
and managing daily activities associated with the administration of arXiv.org
The arXiv.org e-print repository has transformed scholarly communication in
physics, mathematics, computer science, and other scientific
communities. Begun in 1991 and operated by Cornell
University Library (CUL) since 2001, arXiv is intensively used by researchers
worldwide as a means of communicating their research to their peers and the
wider public. arXiv currently receives nearly 9,000
submissions per month and averages 1.7 million download requests per
week. A complex operational environment has evolved over
time to process arXiv submissions and communicate with users and
moderators. This environment includes an extensive set of
policies and procedures and a large network of volunteer subject experts
(moderators), supported by a highly technical software infrastructure.
The arXiv Operations Manager will:
* Be responsible for the effective leadership, management, and ongoing development of arXiv's operational environment.
* Supervise arXiv's operations staff and oversee the administration of arXiv's user-support and moderation processes, ensuring that daily operational activities are carried out thoroughly and accurately, and that all processes and procedures follow arXiv policy.
* Regularly perform routine arXiv operational tasks and user-support activities where needed, or delegate to others.
* Manage the development of arXiv policy and user help documentation, by identifying policy and communication gaps and recommending improvements.
* The operation of arXiv.org is a team-based effort, and effective coordination and communication among team members is critical. The Operations Manager must work closely and effectively with other staff to meet arXiv's service obligations.. The Operations Manager will also work closely with arXiv Information Technology staff to define and implement workflows and the arXiv software that supports them, in order to improve the efficiency of arXiv's operational and administrative processes.
This is a three-year appointment with the expectation of renewal.
* Bachelor's degree in a relevant field, and 3-5 years of related experience.
* Demonstrated understanding of research communication in a relevant discipline.
* Past experience and demonstrated success managing a complex operation; ability to manage complex situations with conflicting demands and to apply negotiation and diplomacy skills effectively; ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines.
* Excellent organizational and project management skills.
* Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
* A people- and service-orientation and attitude are critical.
* Proven ability to work productively in a collaborative role with colleagues and in a team environment, yet also be self-motivated and possess good independent decision-making abilities.
* Excellent trouble-shooting and problem-solving skills, as demonstrated by previous job experience, and must be comfortable working online in a highly technical environment.
* Detail oriented with good record-keeping skills and documentation habits.
* Ability to work a flexible schedule required, as the Operations Manager must share coverage of arXiv administration over holidays.
* Master's or doctorate degree and research experience in the scientific disciplines served by arXiv, or in library/information science with experience in scholarly communications.
* Supervisory or team leadership experience preferred.
* Experience with technical documentation or help function development, and with end-user technical support (such as help desk) or in a library public-service position a plus.
* Experience in policy development useful.
* Professional experience in a research library setting a plus.
* Experience with statistical report development and analysis useful.
* Knowledge and experience with TeX/LaTeX would be of value.
* Some experience with scripting and programming (particularly Perl, Unix shell, and SQL) and web development (HTML, XML) helpful.
* Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University's heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/22080/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/