Research and Instruction Librarian (Texas A&M University - Commerce, Texas)
Texas A&M University–Commerce
_**Research and Instruction Librarian**_
**Position Title:** Research and Instruction Librarian
**Posting Title: **Research and Instruction Librarian
**System Member Institution/Agency: **TEXAS A&M UNIVERSITY - COMMERCE (TAMUC)
**Department: **LIBRARY / 21-132000
**Posting Number: **F00082FY15
**Pay Basis: **Annually
**Job Close Date:
Geographic Location: **Commerce
**Budget Type: **Budgeted/Benefits - Full-Time
**Is this position restricted by the Patriot Act?:** No
**Is this position D.O.T. regulated?:** No
**EEO AA Statement: **The Texas A&M System is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.
**Position Summary Information**
**Job Summary: **
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Research and instruction librarians analyze clientele needs, interpret library
resources, and facilitate their use by students, faculty, support staff, and
other members of the academic community. Each research and instruction
librarian also has responsibilities in collection development, bibliographic
instruction, and liaison/outreach for a group of assigned academic
**Major/Essential Duties of Job:**
* Facilitates the use of all library resources, including LION (online catalog), electronic databases, print and non-print indexes, abstracts, reference materials, and online and Internet resources.
* Conducts clientele interviews and helps clientele make effective use of appropriate information resources.
* Refers to sources, places, and individuals when local sources are insufficient.
* Participates in the library instruction program, which often includes instruction provided via lecture method, hands-on method, or over the web. Creates finding aids, assessment tools, and programs to complement library instruction.
* Collaborates with the research and instruction team to create programs and workshops to instruct faculty on using library research tools and resources.
* Provides timely research assistance to walk-in clients and through the library's online Ask a Librarian portals.
* Utilizes tools and resources and remains current on academic department curricula to help select materials for collection development.
* Works with faculty members in assigned academic departments to:
1. Determine library needs for faculty research and student curricular
2. Enhance and design library assignments.
3. Develop special programming and instructional resources to support
assignment and curricular needs.
* Produce scholarly research and provide academic service in accordance with the library's promotion criteria.
* Represents Texas A&M University-Commerce Libraries and TAMU-C to resource sharing partnerships and/or external committees as appropriate to the area of specialization of each reference librarian.
* Maintains professional expertise appropriate to meet service and planning requirements in assigned areas.
* Participates as a team member in the selection of resources for the library.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the
above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain
operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the
particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration
will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will
be made when appropriate.
SUPERVISION OF PERSONNEL:
Any research and instruction librarian may be required to coordinate specific
tasks of the department, and may be required to supervise other staff members.
**Required Education and Experience: **
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
* Master's degree in library science and/or information science from an American Library Association accredited institution. Evidence of degree completion must be provided before start date of employment.
* Excellent communication skills.
* Experience with emerging technologies in libraries and teaching.
* Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced, dynamic, and demanding environment.
**Preferred Education and Experience: **
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
* Experience working with culturally diverse populations.
* Experience with teaching library instructions in an academic library.
* Knowledge of assessment techniques and tools for library instruction.
* Knowledge of academic library marketing techniques.
* Two or more years of experience working in an academic library environment.
Required Licenses, Certifications, or Registrations:
Preferred Licenses, Certifications, or Registrations:
Required Special Knowledge, Abilities, and Skills:
Preferred Special Knowledge, Abilities, and Skills :
Other Requirements or Other Factors :
Preferred Other Requirements or Other Factors :
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
1. * Where did you see this position advertised?
o The Chronicle of Higher Education
o HigherEd Jobs
o Workplace Diversity
o Work in Texas
o Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
o Job Fair
o This Website
2. If you selected Other, please let us know where you saw the position
(Open Ended Question)
3. * This position is located in Commerce, Texas not College Station, Texas.
Please indicate you are interested in working in Commerce, Texas.
**Documents Needed to Apply**
2. Cover Letter
1. Curriculum Vitae
2. Other Document 1
3. Other Document 2
4. Other Document 3
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/22049/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/