Digital Humanities Specialist
University of the Pacific
The Digital Humanities Specialist (DHS) will develop and manage strategies and
infrastructure for curating digital humanities content and data and will
author and/or co-author new digital humanities resources or scholarship.
Reporting to Assoc. Professor (Religious Studies, College of the Pacific) and
the Head of Special Collections (Library), the DHS will work in collaborative,
digital research initiatives in the NEH-funded project KELLIA
(Koptische/Coptic Electronic Language and Literature International Alliance)
and in the William Knox Holt Memorial Library.
The functions listed are representative of duties typically performed by this
position. Staff may perform some but not all and/or may be assigned additional
1. Develops and manages strategies and infrastructure for curating digital
humanities content and data.
2. Authors/co-authors new digital humanities resources or scholarship.
3. Provides web development and programming for humanities research.
4. Contributes to original research in digital humanities.
5. Contributes to planning and decision-making about KELLIA's technological
development and long-term sustainability.
6. Identifies, recommends, and implements linked open data technologies for
7. Identifies, recommends, and implements digital asset management and digital
archiving in the Library.
8. Participates in archival processing and reference duties in a special
9. Designs forward-facing, interactive digital initiatives, websites, and/or
10. Provides library and special collections instruction.
• 1) MA in Digital Humanities OR 2) MLIS from an accredited ALA program or MA
in Archival Studies with demonstrated digital/technological
training/certification OR 3) MA in a Humanities discipline or related field
with demonstrated digital/technological training or certification
• Documented research and/or teaching experience in digital scholarship or
pedagogy in a humanities discipline or related field
• Demonstrated experience in web development and programming for research
and/or teaching in the humanities or a related field (including archival
studies and library and information science)
Skills/Knowledge and Expertise:
Required skills/knowledge and expertise
• Excellent interpersonal, presentation, and communication skills
• Demonstrated expertise in digital humanities technologies of web development
• Commitment to open access technologies and data for the humanities or a
• Proven ability to work collaboratively in team-based initiatives
• Proven ability to contribute to original scholarship in the humanities or a
• Enthusiasm to build international and interdisciplinary research
• Proven ability to work successfully with diverse populations and
demonstrated commitment to promote and enhance diversity and inclusion
• Knowledge of ancient languages, while welcome, is not a requirement for this
Preferred skills/knowledge and expertise
• Demonstrated expertise with data curation techniques for a variety of
digitized and born-digital media (text, code, images, music, etc.) and tools
(e.g., DSpace, EPrints, Fedora, etc.)
• Demonstrated experience with linked data technologies and methodologies
(e.g., JSON, RDF)
• Experience managing CMS and LMS systems
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/22297/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/