Business & Data Librarian
University of California, Berkeley
The University of California, Berkeley seeks a collaborative and user-centered
librarian to join a team of specialists supporting world-class research and
teaching in the social sciences through active engagement with data literacy
initiatives, course-based instruction and workshops, individual research
appointments, and outreach to students, faculty, and the broader academic
Reporting to the Head of the Library's Social Sciences Division, the Business
& Data Librarian assists faculty and students in identifying and utilizing a
complex array of numeric and textual databases, and effectively managing
bibliographic and research data. In addition, the Business & Data Librarian
supports the scholarly publishing efforts of business faculty and graduate
students and provides information about UC's Open Access Policy. The librarian
works closely with faculty and students of the Haas School of Business 50% of
the time, and the other 50% supports the broader social sciences with a
particular focus on research data management, statistical analysis, and
scholarly communication. The Business & Data Librarian works closely with
colleagues within the Library, Library's Data Lab, Social Science D-Lab,
Social Science Matrix, and Research IT to assist faculty and students with
quantitative research and data life-cycle management.
The Business & Data Librarian:
* conducts in-depth research consultations and provides reference via email, live chat, phone, and in person at the Long Business Library reference desk (6-10 hours/week).
* serves as a resource to other librarians in areas such as Research Data Management and quantitative research design, offering workshops and developing learning objects that can be integrated into course based instruction.
* works with business and social science faculty and staff to develop and lead course-based instruction sessions and topic-based workshops.
* develops research guides for the Haas School's six degree programs and assists with creation and development of the Business Library's website, topic-based research guides, blogs, and other online content
* Additionally, the librarian will assume division-wide leadership responsibility for an initiative such as data management, instruction, scholarly communication, outreach, assessment, or data visualization.
UC Berkeley librarians are expected to participate in library-wide planning
and governance, and work effectively in a shared decision-making
environment. Librarian advancement is partially based upon
professional contributions beyond the primary assignment; the successful
candidate will show promise or evidence of such contributions to the Library,
campus, UC System, and profession.
Minimum basic qualification required by time of application:
American Library Association-accredited Master's degree or equivalent degree.
Additional required qualifications by date of hire:
* Experience providing reference or research services in an academic library, research library, or corporate environment.
* Familiarity with business databases and resources, including SEC filings, market research, and company and financial data sources.
* Experience with statistical and data analysis software, such as SAS, SPSS, R, or STATA.
* Knowledge of trends and issues in open access and scholarly communication in the social sciences.
Additional preferred qualifications:
* Experience creating instructional and information materials.
* Experience teaching library instruction classes in an academic environment.
* Familiarity with research data management tools and practices
* Proven commitment to public services and improving the user experience.
* Excellent analytical, organizational, problem solving, interpersonal, and communication skills.
* Demonstrated initiative, flexibility, creativity and the ability to work effectively both independently and as a team member.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/22172/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/