Junior System Administrator
BC Libraries Cooperative
The BC Libraries Cooperative (http://bc.libraries.coop/) is a non-profit,
member-driven cooperative providing several high availability services to
members across Canada. The Co-op uses primarily open source tools and
contemporary development methodologies and hosting practices.
The Co-op is hiring a part-time (18 hours/week) System Administrator to work
as a member of our Systems Operations Team. This is a partial telecommute
opportunity; residency in Greater Vancouver area, British Columbia is required
for start date.
As a member of a dedicated technical and support team, this position will be
responsible for the maintenance and improvement of the Co-op's technical
infrastructure. Must understand a team's obligations in providing 24×7
**The position requires the following core skills:**
* Minimum of two years experience with Linux system administration using an enterprise-level distribution, Ubuntu Server or Debian preferred;
* Experience managing server hardware;
* Experience writing documentation and communicating technical information clearly and concisely;
* Experience managing Apache;
* Familiarity with RDBMS (either PostgreSQL or MySQL);
* Configuration management solutions (e.g. Puppet).
**Experience with the following will be considered an asset:**
* Virtualization systems, especially Ganeti
* Distributed object storage systems (e.g. CEPH)
* Perl programming and Bash scripting
* Any of Icinga/nagios, git, FreePBX
* Experience working in or with library organizations
* Participation in open source projects
**Competencies and qualifications:**
* Bachelor of Computing Science, Engineering or Physics or significant coursework towards same; an equivalent combination of education and/or experience will be considered;
* Ability to communicate technical information clearly and concisely;
* Ability to manage stress;
* A sense of humour;
* Ability to work collaboratively and positively with individuals and groups in a distributed environment (team members do not all work in one location).
**What we offer:**
* Flexibility. While the Co-op is headquartered in downtown Vancouver, this is primarily a virtual office opportunity for the right candidate. Most of the Co-op staff work remotely, using the Vancouver office for regular or occasional face-to-face meet-ups.
* The opportunity to be part of a dynamic team in a growing community enterprise.
* This position is envisioned as a fixed-term service contract with the option for renewal and/or limited term employee status (budget dependent).
_**How to apply**_
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and resume in **PDF
format** to [log in to unmask] no later than **1600 Pacific Time,
January 22, 2016**.
Candidates must clearly indicate how they meet the position requirements.
We thank all applicants in advance, however only shortlisted candidates will
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/24694/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/