Northwestern University, Galter Health Sciences Library
This position is a non-tenure eligible appointment at the rank of Librarian
Galter Health Sciences Library seeks an innovative and energetic librarian to
provide original and complex cataloging for materials. Working
collaboratively, this full time non-tenure faculty librarian position will
manage the operations of cataloging, oversee maintenance of records for
electronic/print materials, and ensure prompt access to newly acquired
resources and timely resolution of access issues. The Metadata Librarian will
collaborate with library colleagues to ensure the provision of access to
materials held in the library's print, digital and special collections, and
repositories, by performing original and copy cataloging using descriptive
standards, and utilizing a variety of encoding standards.
The incumbent in cooperation with the Head of Digital Systems and Collection
Services as well as other relevant staff throughout the library will provide
leadership and direction in metadata and metadata projects that advance the
strategic direction of the library and of the Northwestern University Feinberg
School of Medicine. This position will participate in secondary assignments
based on qualifications, interests, and institutional need.
**POSITION REPORTS TO:Department Head, Digital Systems and Collection Services**
* Performs original and complex copy cataloging for all formats, including print, non-print, and digital resources - ensuring compliance with national and local standards, such as, MARC, RDA, AACR2, NACO, LCSH, MeSH, OCLC, NLM Classification, LC Classification and other appropriate cataloging and metadata standards;
* Coordinates cataloging/metadata processes, procedures and statistics for all collections: general, medical/health sciences, media, digital, and special collections;
* Participates with colleagues from the Galter Health Sciences Library and Northwestern University Libraries in developing use of appropriate cataloging standards and quality assurance workflows;
* Develops procedures for batch-loading records from vendors and third-party sources and cross-walking MARC and non-MARC metadata between systems;
* Collaborates with and serves as a resource for faculty and staff in the Libraries on special projects involving non-MARC metadata and crosswalks;
* Collaborates with staff from other Northwestern University libraries in the system administration and configuration of the libraries' discovery platform, Primo;
* Performs crosswalks between MARCXML, Dublin Core and other metadata schemes for digital collections;
* Serves as a resource for faculty and staff in the Libraries on special projects involving non-MARC metadata crosswalks;
* Stays current on trends and issues in the areas of linked data, ontologies, and semantic web technologies;
* Facilitates participatory decision-making among colleagues in the unit on work items, and in collaborative library projects;
* Contributes to library-wide planning activities and collaborates with colleagues on projects in areas of shared interest. Actively participates in library programs and services as appropriate;
* Manages projects to effectively and efficiently provide services. Seeks grant opportunities to fund innovation efforts;
* Participates in scholarly societies, attends academic conferences, and represents the Library in relevant academic activities; and
* Performs other tasks and duties as assigned, relative to abilities and experience.
* Master's degree in library or information science from an ALA-accredited program or international equivalent, or other appropriate degree or equivalent experience.
* 2 years post-MLS professional cataloging/metadata experience;
* Broad knowledge of cataloging and metadata workflows and services; knowledge of MARC, AACR2, NACO, LCSH, MeSH, LC and NLM classification, and emerging RDA standards; familiarity with standards-based non-MARC metadata schemas, such as Dublin Core, MODS, MADS, METS, EAD;
* Understanding of RDF, OWL and Semantic Web technologies and standards;
* Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively with a diverse population of faculty/staff, students, and colleagues.
* Evidence of professional initiative and problem-solving skills.
* Excellent analytical, interpersonal, time management, organizational and problem solving skills.
* Excellent written and oral communication skills; demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both in person and virtually using a variety of media and technologies.
Term: non-tenure eligible appointment
Closing Date for Receipt of Applications:until filled
Proposed Starting Date: April 1, 2016
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.**
To be considered for this position, applicants must submit via email a cover
letter and resume/curriculum vitae to: [log in to unmask] Please
reference the job title and job opening ID in the email.
Located in the heart of Chicago's Magnificent Mile, Northwestern University
Feinberg School of Medicine has built a national reputation for excellence
through a strong history of collaboration, interdisciplinary medical
education, and research. Along with Northwestern Memorial Hospital and
Northwestern Medical Faculty Foundation, it is part of the premier academic
medical center known as Northwestern Medicine. The Galter Health Sciences
Library is a dynamic organization which shares Northwestern's commitment to
excellence, and fosters the creation and sharing of knowledge among the
faculty, staff, and students of the Feinberg School of Medicine and its
affiliates. Library staff and faculty strive to improve and enhance health
care through innovation and leadership in the organization, delivery,
management, and use of quality information to support the educational,
research, and patient care needs of our users.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer
of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon
eligibility to work in the United States.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/24784/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/