Call for Paper Proposals
IFLA Classification & Indexing Section Satellite Meeting 2016
Subject Access: Unlimited Opportunities
August 11 (afternoon) - August 12 (full day)
Location: State Library of Ohio, Columbus, Ohio
Join colleagues from around the world in the exchange of new ideas for providing subject access. This one and one-half day Satellite Conference will explore new services, new roles, and new partners that support subject searching. Investigate implementations, use, and reuse of traditional methods, such as classification, controlled vocabularies, and mapping; newer methods; and the connections between them. Discuss how we can take advantage of new opportunities and how we can meet the challenges.
Examples of possible topics are:
* Traditional and new methods of providing subject access: connections, competition, or co-existence?
* Semantic Web technologies and tools for subject access
* Use of library subject metadata by other communities
* Cooperation of libraries with other partners in creation and reuse of subject metadata and knowledge organisation systems (KOS) to support discovery. Possible examples include museums, archives, publishers, and providers of index-based discovery services.
* User needs and subject access behaviour
* Users as creators of subject metadata through, such as crowdsourcing, folksonomies, social tagging, etc.
To submit a proposal, please provide the following in English:
* Name(s) and affiliation(s) of author(s)/presenter(s)
* Proposed title of the paper
* Detailed abstract (500-1500 words)
* Brief biographical information of all author(s)/presenter(s)
* Contact information, including email, of all author(s)/presenter(s)
The deadline for proposals is 15 February 2016. Email proposals in .docx or .pdf format to Sandy Roe, Program Chair, [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.
All proposals will be reviewed by members of the IFLA Classification & Indexing Section Satellite Conference Program Committee. Selection will be based on proposal content and fit to the conference theme. Proposal authors will be notified via email on March 15, 2016.
The deadline for final papers is 30 May 2016. Papers should be original work written in English, not published elsewhere, and should be no longer than 15 double-spaced pages using a standard 12-point font. Authors will be required to present their papers at the IFLA C&I Satellite Conference. Presentations should last about 15-20 minutes and time will be allotted afterwards for questions and discussion. Presentations should be engaging, interactive, and designed to elicit thoughtful discussion from the audience. Use of PowerPoint or other visual program is encouraged for the benefit of the entire audience. The official language of the Satellite Conference is English.
15 February 2016
Deadline for submission of paper proposals
15 March 2016
Notification to authors by email
30 May 2016
Deadline for submission of final papers (No papers can be accepted after this date!)
5 August 2016
Deadline for sending presentation slides
11-12 August 2016
Satellite Conference in Columbus, OH, USA
13 August 2016
IFLA World Library and Information Congress (WLIC) begins in Columbus, OH, USA
At least one of the paperís authors must be present to deliver a summary of the paper during the program of the Satellite Meeting.
All papers that are presented at the WLIC 2016 will be made available online via the IFLA Library<http://library.ifla.org/> under the Creative Commons Attribution International 4.0 license<https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/>.
Authors of accepted papers must complete the IFLA Authorsí Permission Form<http://forms.ifla.org/node/add/wlic-authors-permission-form>.
All expenses for attending the satellite meeting (travel, accommodation, etc.) are the responsibility of the authors/presenters. No financial support can be provided by IFLA.
Registration and other information will be made available on the Satellite conference's website<https://sites.google.com/a/kent.edu/ifla2016-classification-indexing/>.
Editor, Cataloging & Classification Quarterly
Head, Cataloging & Metadata Services
Milner Library, Illinois State University
Normal, IL 61790-8900