Senior Systems Administrator & Analyst
University of Waterloo
The University of Waterloo Library seeks a creative, dynamic and public
service oriented systems and applications administrator to fill a position as
Senior Systems Administrator & Analyst. The position offers
an opportunity for an experienced, energetic and collaborative technical
professional to build on past and present achievements and to move the digital
agenda forward for the University of Waterloo Library.
Digital Initiatives is responsible for the collaborative development of
strategies, planning, implementation, and support of projects to advance the
creation, integration and use of web based services, technical infrastructure,
digital services, digital repository, digital preservation and service
integration for the Library.
Technical support and administration of key enterprise library applications
are also managed within the department, for the uWaterloo community as well as
the other Tri-University Group (TUG) member libraries at University of Guelph
and Wilfrid Laurier University. As the department serves
broadly across the Library, the incumbent will work closely with all Library
departments on projects at some point or another. Key partners include Library
Technology & Facilities Services (LTFS), Information Systems and Technology
(IST), the TRELLIS Operational Management Group (TOMG), the Primo
Implementation Team, TUG Prototyping, as well as technology leadership at TUG
member libraries, OCUL and elsewhere.
The University of Waterloo Library is a member of the Canadian Association of
Research Libraries (CARL), the Association of Research Libraries (ARL), the
Coalition for Networked Information (CNI), and the Ontario Council of
University Libraries (OCUL). The Library is a member of the
Tri-University Group (TUG), along with member libraries at the University of
Guelph and Wilfrid Laurier University, serving a combined student population
of over 76,000, combined holdings exceeding 5 million, and combined budgets
exceeding $45 million. The Tri-University Group manages
shared technology and a remote storage facility, and enables collaborative
projects across the three library systems. The successful candidate will carry
out the responsibilities associated with this position in the Dana Porter
Library, located on the main campus.
The Senior Systems Administrator & Analyst:
* is responsible for the systems administration, application management, configuration and support of Waterloo's digital repository, digital scholarship and related services and application management, configuration and support of several TriUniversity Group (TUG) enterprise library systems and discovery environments
* serves as the Library's senior systems analyst, and for providing general systems support in a team environment.
* is responsible for the reliability and effectiveness of key Library computing systems upon which staff and user services are provided along with the Library Systems Administrator, Library Technology & Facilities Services (LTFS).
* serves as the technical manager and systems administrator for several TUG shared technology platforms and services used by ~300 library staff at the three member libraries, and currently 77,000 students, faculty and staff at the three institutions (University of Waterloo, University of Guelph, Wilfrid Laurier University).
* works with Waterloo Information Systems & Technology (IST), who support these platforms at the hardware, operating system, and database levels.
* designs, implements and advances the integration of digital repository platforms and services to support the local digital collections needs of the University of Waterloo Library.
* manages various relationships between the Library, TUG, IST and other University departments to ensure quality data, conformance to University information security and other University policies, as appropriate.
The Senior Systems Administrator & Analyst reports to the Head, Digital
We welcome interested candidates to connect directly with Alison Hitchens,
Head, Digital Initiatives to learn more about this exciting position. Alison
can be reached by phone at 519-888-4567 x35980 or by email at
[log in to unmask]
A complete [job description](http://www.hr.uwaterloo.ca/.jd/00001684.html) is
Education: Bachelor degree in computer science, mathematics, engineering or
Experience (in order of priority):
* Several years of experience with managing and developing on enterprise information systems, including open source and commercially-available solutions
* Several years' experience with Linux system administration and programming in a complex and heterogeneous computing environment
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both oral and written
* A strong commitment to high quality service
* Ability to work effectively and efficiently without direct supervision
* Demonstrated ability to independently, as well as collaboratively, plan, coordinate, and implement effective information technology projects, including managing multiple and simultaneous projects
* Experience developing and integrating open source software components with Java, Apache Foundation platforms, XML, RESTful APIs
* Demonstrated experience with data management, database development and related computer applications
* Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively on projects across a wide range of departments and for varying audiences
* Project management experience with complex requirements and tight timelines, involving many stakeholders
* Several years of experience with academic research libraries
* Knowledge of library-related data standards and formats, including MARC21, MARCXML, Z39.50, KBART, OpenURL, amongst others
* Familiarity with digital repositories (eg. Islandora, Drupal, Fedora Commons, DSpace, Dataverse, etc.)
* Familiarity with Open Access digital scholarship publishing platforms (eg. Open Journal Systems)
* Familiarity with integrated library systems (e.g. Voyager, Sirsi/Dynix, Innovative Interfaces etc.)
This is a full-time permanent position. Staff at the
University of Waterloo are governed by University policy.
Hiring Range: $66,450 - $90,569
Deadline for applications: For assured consideration, applications should be
received by Friday, March 11, 2016.
Interested applicants are asked to apply via e-mail to [log in to unmask]
and cc Alison Hitchens at [log in to unmask] Please include Job ID #3072 -
Senior Systems Administrator & Analyst - Library in the subject line of the
email, and attach your cover letter, resume, and any other information as one
document named FirstName LastName - Job ID #3072.
The University of Waterloo respects, appreciates, and encourages diversity. We
welcome and encourage applications from all qualified individuals regardless
of race, ethnic origin, religion, age, colour, gender, sexual orientation,
ability or disability. Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given
priority. The University of Waterloo is committed to accessibility for persons
with disabilities. If you have any interview or workplace accommodation
requests, please contact Human Resources at [log in to unmask] or
519-888-4567, ext. 35935.
* * *
In just half a century, the University of Waterloo, located at the heart of
Canada's technology hub, has become one of Canada's leading comprehensive
universities with 36,000 full- and part-time students in undergraduate and
graduate programs. A globally focused institution, celebrated as Canada's most
innovative university for 24 consecutive years, Waterloo is home to the
world's leading post-secondary co-operative education program and encourages
enterprising partnerships in learning, research and discovery. In the next
decade, the university is committed to building a better future for Canada and
the world by championing innovation and collaboration to create solutions
relevant to the needs of today and tomorrow. For more information about
Waterloo, please visit uwaterloo.ca
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/24960/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/