Senior Library Applications Developer
Brown University Library
Brown University Library seeks a Senior Library Applications Developer to
provide leadership and innovative software development services to meet the
teaching, learning, and research needs of the Brown
Community. Integrated Technology Services (ITS) within the
Digital Technologies department is responsible for supporting the library's
discovery and delivery services, course management tools, internal workflows
as well as campus projects such as VIVO and ORCID. ITS
works with platforms such as Blacklight, Fedora Commons, and Drupal and with
programming languages including Python, Ruby, Java, and PHP.
This position offers the opportunity to explore creative, strategic approaches
to supporting library software development and works closely with team members
from across the library and the University. Primary
responsibilities include serving as lead on projects, modeling and promoting
best practices, performing software development and analysis, systems design
and integration with library infrastructure, and conducting project and status
meetings with library staff and the campus community.
The Senior Library Applications Developer participates in planning and
strategy for the Digital Technologies department. Active
participation on library and university committees, project team efforts, as
well as relevant professional organizations, open source development efforts,
and professional development activities, is expected.
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Science, or a related field or the equivalent combination of education and experience
* Experience with Python, Ruby, or Java programming languages
* Experience of three or more years in the developing and implementing complex web applications using MVC frameworks such as Django or Rails
* Demonstrated experience with search/indexing technology (e.g., Apache Solr).
* Demonstrated proficiency applying best practices to and planning technical projects; experience with team collaboration tools, version control systems, and application deployment.
* Demonstrated experience with Unix or Linux server platforms, related software, and basic system administration utilities
* Ability to learn new technical skills quickly; ability to meet deadlines; strong service-orientation. Ability to adapt emerging technologies to new domains
* Ability to work as part of a team in an agile project management environment
* Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
* Creativity and strong analytical and problem-solving skills
* Master's degree in information science, library science, computer science or related field
* Experience working with Linked Data, Web APIs, and related standards and principles
* Demonstrated success participating in and contributing to open source software development projects
* Demonstrated experience with library applications, technology, and standards, including experience participating in relevant library open source efforts
To Apply: please visit Brown University's career opportunities website at:
reference REQ118445. Complete an application online, attach documents, and
submit for immediate consideration. Documents should include cover letter,
resume, and the names and e-mail addresses of three references. Review of
applications will continue until the position is filled.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic
global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for
employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of,
gender, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/24908/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/