Digital Archival Consultant
Museum of Contemporary Art of Georgia
The Digital Archival Consultant will be hired for a contract period of 6
months to assess the archival collections and to create a Work Plan for
Digitization for MOCA GA. This project will include gap
analysis, creation of test case products for metadata, finding aids, digitized
objects, prioritization for digitization of the historical archives, some
assessment of intellectual control and online permissions, and training of
MOCA GA staff to carry out the Work Plan.
Specific outcomes will include:
* Provide clear understanding of licensing and permissions for web-based digital archives.
* Create clear, binding documents for intellectual control; reassess protocols for archive donations and permissions for scholars using the archives online.
* Conduct gap analysis and environmental scan for the MOCA GA Historical Archives.
* Analyze strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats before the project is implemented.
* Recommend guidelines to create digital finding aids for archival materials that can be published on the MOCA GA Website and create test case products as models for MOCA GA staff.
* Recommend guidelines for prioritizing material to be digitized (to properly assess and preserve the objects).
* Identify the demand for this archival information--audience identification, potential partnerships with scholars, universities, etc.
* Provide clear understanding of best practices for archival digitization.
* Establish protocol for the creation of metadata for digitized files and test case examples.
* Work in tandem with the Digital Library of Georgia to properly store this information for data harvesting.
* Create a full, scheduled Work Plan for Digitization of the MOCA GA archives.
* Training of staff and interns on proper digitization methods.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
* Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail and accuracy
* Ability to supervise and train staff and volunteers
* Excellent writing, verbal and interpersonal skills
* Ability to prioritize and work with minimum supervision
* Experience with Project Management
* Experience writing procedures and policies.
* Familiarity with archival descriptive structure standards such as Dublin Core, MARC
* Knowledge of descriptive content standards and best practices, particularly DACS.
* Familiarity with archival technical standards and controlled vocabularies
* Thorough knowledge of digitization best practices and standards
* Knowledge of ANSI/NISO Technical Metadata for Still Images
* Knowledge of digital audio/visual recording wrappers and codecs
Education and Experience:
* Master's degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA-accredited program required
* 3 years of applicable work experience
* Specialization in digitization strongly preferred
* Undergraduate degree or knowledge of art or art history preferred
* Museum experience desirable
* Experience with PastPerfect or an equivalent collection's management system is desirable
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/24885/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/