Harvard Law School Library Innovation Lab
**Who we are**
[LIL ](http://librarylab.law.harvard.edu/)is a small startup shop embedded in
the world's largest academic law library. We build open-source experiments and
share them with the world. Some grow into high-profile hosted tools that are
depended on by courts, lawyers, professors, publishers, and the public.
Among other things, we're curing link rot with Perma.cc, exploring new
publishing models for textbooks with H2O, and scanning 40 million pages of
American caselaw with Free the Law.
**Who we need**
We need a smart, creative engineer to help our web projects scale from tiny
experiments to high availability public services. We also have lots of
unusual, one-off infrastructure problems that need creative thinking, whether
it's remote processing of terabytes of scanned images, deploying distributed
server appliances to libraries, or extracting IP addresses from petabyte-scale
* Work with a small, self-directed team to conceive and implement projects to explore the future of libraries, law, and the open web.
* Design and build modern infrastructure for development, testing, deployment, scaling, and monitoring of our Linux-based web projects.
* Migrate our existing projects to consistent, modern infrastructure.
* Design and manage distributed library networks for storage and encryption.
* Represent the Lab in communication with Harvard technology services, third-party vendors, and collaborators.
* Build cool stuff that surprises us. (This is a real responsibility, not fluff -- we're an academic research lab and are serious about our side projects.)
We won't reject any applications out of hand -- enthusiasm for our mission is
the top priority. But here's what we're looking for:
* Professional experience securing and maintaining Linux systems.
* Experience with modern testing, orchestration, deployment, and monitoring tools.
* Ability to solve challenging and unfamiliar technical problems.
* Track record of completing self-motivated, community-oriented projects.
**Lifestyle and Perks**
* Flexible academic lifestyle.
* Full Harvard employee benefits, including free or cheap Harvard classes.
* Access to the Harvard community and events.
* Collaborate with web luminaries at the Berkman Center for Internet and Society, with whom we share a faculty director.
**To apply, email[ [log in to unmask] ](mailto: [log in to unmask] ?subject=%5BCode4Lib%5D%20DevOps%20Application)with cover letter and resume.**
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/25020/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/