Full Stack Engineer
University of Kansas
**IT Full Stack Engineer**
This position provides application administration, development, and support
services for the KU Libraries. The emphasis is on library management and
scholarly communications systems such as Integrated Library Management System
and catalog, interlibrary loan system, institutional repository, digital
collections systems, and other applications related to teaching, learning and
research at the university.
This position is responsible for the development, maintenance, and support of
software from conception to end of life. This
responsibility includes application installation, configuration,
customization, maintenance, troubleshooting, and the addition, removal, or
modification of features in pre-existing software and creation or modification
of new in-house software applications. This position will
utilize existing purchased or open-sourced software (such as DSpace,
Islandora, Omeka, etc), and will be asked to investigate and create custom
solutions. Some of these custom
solutions will include, but not be limited to integration and automation
development. This position will be using Linux and Free and
Open Source Software extensively on a daily basis.
An example project for this position would be the following.
* Pull in a new software release from a third party git repository into our git repository.
* Merge the changes in the new release with our current code base, including custom features at the source code level.
* Work with staff to test/validate new release, expose new features of release, update KU-custom features, and create new features.
* Install new release into production during approved maintenance windows. Support & troubleshoot moving forward.
Reporting in KU Information Technology, the position works in partnership with
Libraries staff to provide quality information services to the user
community. This position will be communicating with staff
in both the Libraries and Information Technology on a daily
basis. This position will have after-hours on-call
* This position shares in responsibility for information security by following all applicable security policies and procedures.
* This position is authorized to use elevated privilege accounts in the performance of job duties.
* This position is authorized to issue password resets in accordance with established procedure in the performance of job duties.
* This position is authorized to handle sensitive or confidential data in accordance with established procedures in the performance of job duties.
65% Application Support
* Upgrades and maintains applications and auxiliary software on the server using knowledge of library operations, standards and data protocols.
* Coordinates server support initiatives with unit(s) responsible for desktop and client support.
* Works with Libraries staff to verify, document, report, and resolve incidents and problems to technical support staff, either internal or vendor. Tracks, tests, and reports resolution.
* Configures and customizes solutions to meet needs identified by library staff
* Writes and organizes technical documentation required to maintain applications, augmenting vendor documentation as needed.
* Works closely with appropriate staff in Libraries and Information Technology computing units to monitor and delivery quality services to end users.
15% Assists in innovating new services and solutions.
* Works closely with Libraries and IT management groups to consider and implement new solutions and services that allow users to access, integrate, manipulate, and use electronic information.
* Assists in analyzing technologies that affect system integration and interoperability, data migration, and digital preservation.
* Builds, tests, and deploys new custom software solutions using management and team approved languages and methodologies.
10% Project Planning
* In consultation with the designated IT and Library staff, creates project plans and carries out prioritized projects related to ongoing support and service delivery, coordinating with other IT and Library units as needed.
* Assists in identifying and analyzing user requirements for configuring and upgrading existing systems and services or implementing new ones.
* Utilizes knowledge of library operations, data formats and standards, information exchange protocols in working with planning teams for solutions that are cognizant of the privacy, licensure, and security aspects of various types of digital data.
* Participates in IT Service management including preparation of change management requests for approval and participation in incident and problem resolution.
* Meets regularly with IT and Libraries service teams.
10% Other duties as assigned.
* Associate Degree and three years relevant experience.
* 2 years experience installing, upgrading, configuring and maintaining server-based applications in an enterprise UNIX/Linux environment.
* 1 year of experience doing professional software development, including experience developing web applications.
* 1 year of experience working with relational or NoSQL based databases.
* Knowledgeable in procedures for applying upgrades, patches, and fixes provided by Software vendors.
* Effective written and interpersonal communication skills as evidenced by application materials.
* Experience working in a team environment as evidenced by application materials.
* Experience supporting systems for library management, digital library services, scholarly communication and research support, or learning management.
* Familiarity with metadata standards and formats for library systems (e.g., MARC, Dublin Core, METS, MODS) and protocols for search and retrieval (e.g. OAI-PHM, Z39.50)
* Experience working in an DevOps based environment.
* Experience writing scripts using a scripting language (shell, Perl, Ruby, Python).
* Experience using a web framework. (Symfony, Spring, Struts2 , Play, Django)
* Experience using SQL to extract data for manipulation or reporting.
* Experience using Docker, Vagrant, and/or a configuration management tool (Puppet/Chef)
* Experience administering Apache, Tomcat, Solr, and/or ElasticSearch.
* Experience administering mysql, PostgreSQL, and/or Oracle based applications.
* Experience using a version control system (Git preferred.)
* Bachelor's Degree
**Additional Candidate Instruction**
A complete online application consists of:
* A cover letter addressing how required qualifications are met.
* Contact information for 3 Professional References
**Incomplete applications will not be considered.**
**Review of applications begins March 21, 2016 and will continue until a qualified pool is assembled. To ensure priority consideration apply before this date.**
**Contact Information to Applicants**
Matt Copeland, IT Technology Coordinator, [log in to unmask]
**Advertised Salary Range**
Contingent on Qualifications
**Application Review Begins**
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color,
ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability status as
a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender
identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the university's
programs and activities. Retaliation is also prohibited by university policy.
The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the
nondiscrimination policies and are the Title IX coordinators for their
respective campuses: Executive Director of the Office of Institutional
Opportunity & Access, [log in to unmask], 1246 West Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence,
KS 66045, 785-864-6414, 711 TTY 9for the Lawrence, Edwards, Parsons, Yoder,
and Topeka campuses); Director, Equal Opportunity Office, Mail Stop 7004, 4330
Shawnee Mission Parkway, Fairway, KS 66205, 913-588-8011, 711 TTY (for the
Wichita, Salina, and Kansas City, Kansas medical center campuses).
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/25054/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/