Digital Metadata Librarian
University of Utah
Salt Lake City
The Mountain West Digital Library (MWDL) seeks an energetic, innovative, and
accomplished professional for the position of Digital Metadata Librarian. This
is an excellent opportunity to work with collaborative and enthusiastic
colleagues who are dedicated to building services for digital libraries and
archives. Hosted at the J. Willard Marriott Library at the University of Utah,
along with the rest of the MWDL staff, this position serves the Mountain West
region as a key part of the MWDL Service Hub for the Digital Public Library of
America, which aggregates metadata from partnering libraries, museums, and
archives in six states for sharing both regionally via the MWDL portal at
http://mwdl.org/ and nationally via the DPLA portal at http://dp.la/.
Research Librarian (non-tenure track career-line faculty) at the J. Willard
Marriott Library, with rank (Assistant or Associate) based on experience and
vote of Marriott Library faculty.
This is a three-quarters-time non-tenure-track career-line faculty position
funded for twelve months from the start date. The position will be reviewed
for possible continuation at that time. Continuance of the position beyond one
year is dependent upon recommendation of the MWDL Director, continuing funding
and approval of the MWDL Governing Board, and continuing approval of the Dean
of the Marriott Library.
Preferred consideration will be given to all applications received by March
Description of Position
The Digital Metadata Librarian of the Mountain West Digital Library supports
the improvement of metadata standards and metadata in digital collections from
MWDL partners, including memory institutions in Utah, Nevada, Idaho, Montana,
Oregon, and Wyoming. Working with all employees in MWDL and reporting to the
MWDL Director, the successful candidate will:
• Facilitate the harvest of collections metadata into MWDL and from there into
the Digital Public Library of America (DPLA).
o Perform metadata audits of new collections and spot-check existing
collections for ongoing conformance to standards.
o Work with new partners and repositories to resolve metadata issues and Open
Archives Initiative (OAI) interoperability issues.
o Work with Web Discovery Services team at Marriott Library to execute
ingestion of new collections into Ex Libris Primo. Modify normalization rules
and XSL transformations as needed.
o Coordinate with DPLA staff regarding mapping and ingest of metadata into
• Respond to questions about metadata from partner institutions.
• Describe new collections on website and promote them via social media.
Design topic browse pages for website.
• Conduct periodic collection analyses of MWDL and prepare tallies of our
collection coverage and contributors.
• Work with appropriate task force(s) within MWDL Digitization Committee and
with DPLA staff to improve metadata policies and best practices.
Additional responsibilities: Assist the MWDL Director with investigation of
new technologies of interest to member repositories and other collection
partners. Participate actively in appropriate professional societies and
report on outcomes and work processes developed at occasional professional
conferences. Other duties as assigned as MWDL grows and develops.
• MLS/MLIS from an ALA-accredited graduate school or equivalent degree either
completed or anticipated within one year OR the equivalent combination of a
relevant advanced degree and experience working in an academic library.
• Digital metadata emphasis in graduate school or equivalent in work
• Demonstrated ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
• Excellent communication skills and dedication to collaborative team-building
across multiple institutions.
• Skill with using Microsoft Office software suite or equivalent.
• Capacity to thrive in the fast-paced, future-oriented environment of a
research institution and to respond effectively to changing needs and
• Demonstrated proficiency and capability with information technology systems
in the context of an academic library.
• Successful completion of a criminal background check, as required by Utah
state law (http://www.regulations.utah.edu/humanResources/5-130.html).
• Two years of experience working with assigning metadata for digital
• Experience with digitizing materials and managing a digital collection and
other digital library-related tasks, working with CONTENTdm or other leading
digital assets management system.
• Experience with Open Archives Initiative (OAI) harvesting.
• Reading, writing, or speaking skills in a second language.
• Familiarity with libraries, archives, and museums in the Mountain West
Salary is $40,000-$41,500 for 0.75 FTE effort, depending on qualifications.
Excellent paid benefits including 14.2% retirement fund contribution;
vacation, sick, and professional development leave; health care plan including
medical and dental coverage; and optional participation in various additional
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/25029/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/