Social Sciences and Data Librarian
Vassar College Libraries seeks creative, collaborative candidates for the
position of Social Sciences and Data Librarian. As a member
of the Research & Instructional Services department, the Social Sciences and
Data Librarian serves as a research consultant, liaison, and collaborator with
faculty and students in the Social Sciences departments (e.g. Economics,
Anthropology) and related multidisciplinary programs (e.g. Urban
Studies). In addition to providing basic collections and
instructional support, the librarian serves as a resource for working with
data sources common to Social Sciences research, such as IPUMS, ICPSR, and
other statistical databases. Furthermore, the librarian
collaborates with colleagues in the Library as well as
Computing and Information Services to develop expertise and facilities to
build capacity for the use of data and analytical methods across
disciplines. Successful candidates will be well-versed in
creating, interpreting, and manipulating statistical data using tools such as
GIS, SPSS, Stata, and/or R. The Social Sciences and Data
Librarian also oversees collection development and provides research support
for the Government Documents collection.
* MLS or equivalent degree.
* Demonstrated knowledge of emerging trends in social sciences research and pedagogy.
* Significant experience working with social sciences data sources.
* Significant experience working with one or more software tools commonly used to manipulate and analyze data (e.g., SPSS, Stata, GIS applications, R, OpenRefine).
* Commitment to collaboration and the ability to work cooperatively across organizational and disciplinary boundaries.
* Ability to model patience, tact, and good humor in providing user-focused public service.
* Competence and sensitivity in working at a college in which students are broadly diverse with regard to many facets of identity, including but not limited to gender, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion.
* An additional advanced degree in a social sciences field strongly preferred.
* 2 or more years experience working in an academic library.
* Familiarity with the Federal Depository Library Program.
* Ability to read Spanish.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/25080/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/