Web Developer 3
University of Houston
The University of Houston Libraries seeks a talented and experienced front-end
web developer to create high quality, engaging user interfaces for web
applications. The successful candidate will work within the Web Services
department as part of a team of programmers, librarians, and designers on
major initiatives that support library and campus goals around teaching,
learning, and research. The ideal candidate will be skilled at combining the
art of design with the art of programming and have advanced skills in web
accessibility, responsive web design, and be able to masterfully translate
UI/UX designs and wireframes into code.
In addition to continuous development on the Libraries' public-facing
websites, projects will include: building interfaces to web applications that
support teaching and learning efforts; developing interfaces for tools that
make the Libraries' collections and resources more discoverable and exhibits
more interactive; and creating interfaces for sites and applications that
support internal library workflows and information sharing. This position
reports to the Web Project Manager.
* Works with team members to bridge the gap between graphical design and technical implementation, taking an active role on both sides and defining how the application looks as well as how it works.
* Develops user interfaces for applications and web services
* Incorporates appropriate design principles and branding consistent with guidelines established by the Libraries and the University
* Establishes and design and code templates, best practices, and standards for use in the department and across the Libraries
* Assists with quality assurance and usability testing of web applications to ensure consistency in design, user satisfaction, and compliance with established standards
* Follows Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 for accessibility best practices and Section 508 compliancy
* Works side-by-side with team members to deliver a highly scalable web presence
* Participates on committees and project teams within the Libraries and UH community
* Engages in open source development efforts and professional development activities
* Performs other job-related duties as assigned
Requires a directly job-related 4 year degree from a college or university or
an equivalent in-depth specialized training program that is directly related
to the type of work being performed. Requires a minimum of three (3) years of
directly job-related experience.
* Experience with PHP development
* Understanding of server-side CSS pre-processing platforms, such as SASS
* Experience with responsive front-end frameworks, such as Bootstrap
* Experience with Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) for accessibility best practices and Section 508 compliancy
* Experience doing cross-browser development and testing
* Strong analytical and problem solving skills and the ability to formulate options and recommend solutions
* Ability to work successfully in a collaborative team environment
* Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
* Experience with content management systems and web publishing platforms,such as Wordpress, Drupal, and Omeka
* LAMP stack experience
* Familiarity with agile development methodologies
* Understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git
* Experience working with library and/or higher education users
The Web Services Department is a group of librarians and professional staff
that develops, designs, integrates, and maintains many of the Libraries' web
applications and systems. Web Services values accessible services,
collaboration, evidence-based decision making, innovation, openness and
transparency, and clean system integration. More about some of their recent
projects can be found on their departmental blog: [http://sites.lib.uh.edu/wp
The [UH Libraries](http://info.lib.uh.edu/) are a member of the Association of
Research Libraries, the Greater Western Library Alliance, the Hathi Trust, the
Council on Library and Information Resources, the Digital Library Federation,
and the Texas Digital Library. The campus libraries provide access to over 3.1
million volumes. The University Libraries' total staff is 160, including 62
The [2013-2016 UH Libraries' Strategic
focuses on targeting services to specific user groups, reimagining library
spaces, promoting outreach, and increasing national recognition. The Strategic
Directions support an ambitious set of [goals](http://www.uh.edu/president
/vision-priorities/) adopted by the University and further the drive for
The University of Houston campus comprises 13 colleges offering close to 80
degree programs with an enrollment of about 40,000 students, 7,200 of whom are
enrolled in graduate studies. Reflecting the multicultural community of
metropolitan Houston, UH is one of the most ethnically diverse research
university campuses in the nation.
Houston, the fourth largest city in the United States, offers all the cultural
and recreational opportunities of a great city and is within easy reach of the
Gulf of Mexico. It enjoys a very reasonable cost of living and was selected by
Forbes as topping the list of America's coolest cities.
For additional information, read about [Houston's flourishing arts scene and
entertainment offerings](http://www.visithoustontexas.com/) and about [housing
and living in Houston](http://www.houston.org/living/index.html).
Please also review the department's other posting for an [Application
All positions at the University of Houston are security sensitive and will
require a criminal history check.
Potential applicants seeking further information should contact [J
Fisher](http://info.lib.uh.edu/about/staff-directory/profile/127), Web Project
Manager or [Rachel Vacek](http://info.lib.uh.edu/about/staff-
directory/profile/105), Head of Web Services.
The University of Houston is a Tobacco Free Campus.
THE UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY / AFFIRMATIVE ACTION
EMPLOYER. MINORITIES, WOMEN, VETERANS AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE
ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/25089/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/