Mount Royal College
Title: Manager, Collections
Position Type: Management
Date Posted: March 2nd, 2016
Closing Date: March 21st, 2016
The Manager, Collections oversees the operational management of Library
collections and acquisition activities including the major responsibility of
managing the Library's 1.8 M acquisitions budget. This work involves managing
a series of complex contractual and systems-related processes while leading a
team in an environment of rapidly changing technology and information. The
candidate in this position responds to changes in the Library, publishing, and
information environments to ensure Library processes and procedures are in
place so that print and digital resources are managed efficiently throughout
all stages of their lifecycle. The Manager, Collections reports to the
Assistant University Librarian, Collections [to be hired] and works
collaboratively with members of the senior Library management team to plan
strategically, establish priorities, and implement initiatives. Effective
management of this department is reliant on the candidate's strong commitment
to customer service and dedication to maintaining a high level of expertise
relating to the collections and publishing environment, and information needs
and preferences of Library users.
* Oversee the Library's contractual and technical processes related to the acquisition and management of information resources in print and electronic form, and lead the development of best practices related to these processes.
* Assess, evaluate, and negotiate new and renewal licensed product offers from Library consortia and vendors, and make recommendations to the AUL as needed.
* Play a leadership role in the physical management of the collection including coordination of inventories, locations and placements of the collection.
* Manage, analyze, and interpret collections-related data for reporting
* Oversee the creation, assessment and application of descriptive metadata principles and best practices
* Provide advice and recommendations on the development and needs of the Collections Unit
* Develop and manage the acquisitions budget based on principles as established in consultation with the AUL Collections
* Oversee the library's processes and policies for in-kind donations, including liaising with donors and overseeing the transfer of materials and the execution of paperwork.
* Provide full supervision of three staff members and indirect supervision of eight.
* An MLIS degree (or equivalent) from an ALA-accredited program, with 6-10 years total experience in collections and/or technical services, including 3-5 years in a management position in collections.
* Demonstrated problem solving skills
* Excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills
* Demonstrated skills and experience with Electronic Resource Management Systems and Library Service Platforms
* Demonstrated skills and experience in the creation, assessment and application of descriptive metadata principles and best practices
* Skilled in supervising teams and in collaborating and communicating with internal and external groups
MOUNT ROYAL UNIVERSITY
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES
e: [log in to unmask]
Submit a separate covering letter and resume for each position you are
applying for, quoting appropriate competition number to the address noted
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only applicants selected for an
interview will be contacted.
If applying by email, please send your resume as an attachment, in either
.doc, .docx or .pdf formats only
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and
permanent residents will be given priority. Mount Royal University hires on
the basis of merit and is strongly committed to fostering diversity as a
source of excellence, intellectual and cultural enrichment, and social
strength. We welcome applications from those who would contribute to the
further diversification of our staff, faculty and their scholarship including
but not limited to Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and persons of
any sexual orientation or gender identity, ethnic, national or socio-economic
background, religion or age.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/25091/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/