Assistant Director for Library Technologies and Metadata
Davidson College Library seeks a librarian who is both technologically adept
and big-picture oriented to lead our systems and cataloging
department. The Assistant Director for Library Technologies
and Metadata will serve as a member of the library's leadership team as well
as manage and directly supervise librarians performing the systems,
cataloging, and metadata functions. The Assistant Director
for Library Technologies and Metadata also participates in the creation of,
planning for, and implementation of strategic library
initiatives. This includes direct participation in creating
and managing technical solutions requiring systems administration,
programming, and scripting skills. This person leads the
development, implementation, and assessment of policies, procedures, and
programs in these areas.
• Investigates, recommends, and implements new technologies to enhance and
transform library management of information resources and enhance student
learning; works with the Assistant Director for Research, Teaching, and
Collections to identify and evaluate such technologies.
• Encourages and enables use of flexible and customizable library systems
solutions through direct application of system administration, programming,
and scripting skills.
• Participates in the development of library-wide goals through service on the
Management Council. Provides leadership and direction for
translating these goals into operational plans for his/her area of
• Encourages and enables systems and cataloging & metadata staff to perform at
high levels of accomplishment.
• Master's degree in Library/Information Science from a program accredited by
the American Library Association
• At least five years of systems experience in an academic library
• Project management experience and effective leadership and management
abilities; skills in facilitation, consensus building, and creative problem
solving as well as preference for team-based approaches to achieving success.
• Demonstrated knowledge of system administration and configuration, scripting
and one or more object oriented programming languages.
• Demonstrated knowledge of current and emerging trends in academic and
digital library services and resources and ability to translate into vision
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Demonstrated knowledge of cataloging standards and practices
• Demonstrated commitment to working with diverse groups
• Commitment to undergraduate liberal arts education
This is a full-time, 12-month position. The anticipated
start date is no later than summer 2016. Apply by May 2,
2016 for fullest consideration.
Candidates are asked to submit a resume and a cover letter addressing their
experience and skills and how they relate to the mission of Davidson College
and the Library. Applicants must also attach a statement of
no more than one page describing a programming or scripting project they have
done. More information about how to submit an application
can be found at https://jobs.davidson.edu/applicants/jsp/sh
Consistently ranked among the nation's top liberal arts colleges, Davidson
College is a highly selective, independent liberal arts college located in
Davidson, North Carolina, close to the city of Charlotte.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/25267/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/