Come work with me and the really awesome people at VA Tech.
I'm happy to answer any questions on how you can be my boss. ;-)
-------- Forwarded Message --------
Director, Information Technologies and Services (ITS)
Reporting to the Assistant Dean and Chief of Staff, the Director of
Information Technology Services (IT Services) is responsible for the
planning and management of the department’s activities and employees.
The Director provides managerial leadership and expertise in strategic
technology management to enhance the growth and effectiveness of the
The Director leads and/or oversees the department’s services:
- Accounts, groups, and access for library employees and patrons to IT
- Administrative process support for the libraries;
- Colocation (for servers) for other library teams such as Research and
- Consulting and advising for library employees;
- Digital collections and repositories supporting work done in other
- File hosting for library employees and library materials;
- Information transfer services between library and University IT systems;
- Indexing and discovery services, working with other library units on
behalf of patrons;
- Multimedia and A/V support, supporting events and physical spaces in
- Office technology for library employees;
- Public technology used by patrons; and
- Web sites for library teams.
The position is responsible for vendor relationships and contractual
Cloud-based services, as well as interfacing with other major IT units
within the university.
The Director serves as a member of the Library Council, the Library
Directors’ Group, and
serves on other Library committees as appropriate.
The Director will lead and manage in the following programmatic areas:
Desktop and Commons
Technology, Systems Administration, and Application Programming.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Management Information
Systems or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- Demonstrate a capacity to translate the Libraries’ vision and strategy
for the Information Technologies and Services Department.
- Lead IT Services employees toward successfully achieving the
Libraries’ strategy along with its associated goals and objectives.
- Must collaborate successfully with other library units in a
supportive, collegial, team-base environment and must proactively
forecast their technology needs.
- Ability to create and mane work processes, procedures, and projects at
the departmental level.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and oversee complex projects in a
fast-paced team environment.
- Must possess strong analytical, interpersonal and problem-solving
skills as well as exceptionally strong oral and written communication
- Demonstrated ability to work with employees in articulating and
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Library and Information Science,
Information Systems preferred.
- Experience with library systems and digital library management, such
as integrated library systems from Innovative Innovative Interfaces, Ex
Libris, or SirsiDynix, repository systems such as DSpace, EPrints, and
Fedora Commons, publishing systems such as OJS and OCS, content or
digital collections management systems such as Drupal and Omeka,
interlibrary loan systems and other products typically used in
university library settings.
- Demonstrated commitment to user-centered services. Experience with
leading staff who analyze and determine appropriate hardware, software,
and network infrastructure for implementation.
- Strong knowledge of the life cycle management of digital content;
i.e., how digital resources are acquired, described, preserved, and
delivered to support learning, teaching and research.
- Demonstrated knowledge of data modeling, database design, and business
- Demonstrated experience with managing open source software projects.
Working knowledge of discovery and indexing applications, such as Apache
- Working knowledge of programming techniques and languages, SQL, and
managing server systems, particularly in Linux and Unix environments.
- Project management training or certification desired.
Must have a criminal background check
*Must have a conviction check:*
*How to Apply for this Job:*
Applications must be submitted online at
http://www.hr.vt.edu/employment. The application package needs to
include a resume, cover letter addressing the candidate’s experience
with the responsibilities associated with the position, and the required
and preferred qualifications, names of three (3) references and their
contact information. Review of applications will begin as received and
continue until the position is filled.
Administrative and Professional Faculty
$90,000 - $100,000 dependent on qualifications and experience
Monday-Friday 8am -5pm or as assigned
*Job Review Date:*
Let me know if you have any questions.
Cathy C. Pillow
Human Resources Manager