(Apologies for cross-posting).
Today sees the release of a significant VuFind release that paves the way for the future of the project (with Solr 5 integration and PHP 7 compatibility) while offering a straightforward migration path from past releases (this is not the same amount of change as was seen between the 1.x and 2.x lines).
Reaching this milestone has been a team effort, and the release includes code from around the world. Thanks to everyone who contributed!
Press release follows...
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
VuFind 3.0 Released
Villanova, Pennsylvania - April 25, 2016 - Version 3.0 of the VuFind Open Source discovery software has just been released. This major release brings VuFind up to date with important PHP and Solr developments while also adding several new features and offering a straightforward upgrade path from the 2.x series of releases.
Some key additions and changes:
- Improved support for indexing multiple authors (and other types of creators).
- New filtering options in "combined search" mode to make your "bento box" search even more flexible.
- A database-driven record cache to improve performance and permanence when working with third-party APIs.
- Compatibility with PHP 7 and Ubuntu 16.04.
- Inclusion of Solr 5.5.0, which adds new indexing features and better Windows support.
- A significantly rewritten front-end theme offering greater stability, improved ease of customization and a more consistent user experience.
- New recommendation modules to help guide users to better search results.
Additionally, several bug fixes, new configuration options and minor improvements have been incorporated.
Questions about the new release or VuFind in general can be directed to Demian Katz, the lead developer of the project at Villanova University. The software and its documentation may be found at http://vufind.org.
[log in to unmask]
Falvey Memorial Library
800 Lancaster Avenue
Villanova, PA 19085