Digital Collections Librarian
As a member of the Digital Initiatives and Scholarship Department, the Digital
Collections Librarian will provide strategic and innovative leadership for the
burgeoning digital asset management and preservation program of the Swarthmore
College Libraries. The Digital Collections Librarian will be responsible for
the planning, operations, and management of this program, and will manage the
lifecycle of our digital assets and projects, from the acquisition or creation
of digital objects to their long-term preservation. In collaboration with the
College's special libraries and/or TriCollege colleagues, s/he will develop
and implement strategies, best practices, policies, and processes to support
the access, management, and preservation of our analog-to-digital and born-
digital assets. The Digital Collections Librarian will also play a vital role
in collaborative processes to evaluate, select, and implement software
solutions that support our digital assets.
S/he will develop our digital collections by identifying materials currently
held in our physical collections and/or by reaching out to campus
constituencies. S/he will work directly with members of the campus community
to identify potential projects and to contribute materials appropriate to our
collections. S/he will work with subject librarians and faculty to support
teaching, research, and scholarly activities which integrate the Libraries'
digital collections, and may provide instruction on topics such as personal
digital archiving and preservation best practices. Perform
other duties as assigned.
_Required Education and Experience:_
* Master's degree from an ALA-accredited program.
* 2 years' experience working with digital collections or archives.
* Experience working with digital asset management, digital repository, and/or digital library systems (e.g. DSpace, Fedora, CONTENTdm).
* Equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
_Required Skills and Abilities:_
* Knowledge of digital preservation systems, standards, best practices.
* Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
* Ability to work effectively in teams that encompass a range of roles and knowledge.
* Flexibility, intellectual curiosity, and willingness to take initiative.
* Demonstrated experience in managing digital collections projects.
* Understanding of archival theory and best practices as they relate to the processing and management of digital collections.
* Experience with tools used to capture, manage, and deliver born-digital materials
* Ability to analyze a range of tools and technologies, and to implement those which improve workflows, access, or preservation of digital objects.
* Strong decision-making and project management skills.
_The effective date for this position will begin July 1, 2016 or after._
Those interested are encouraged to apply at [http://bit.ly/swat-dcl-
app](http://bit.ly/swat-dcl-app), and to upload a cover letter and resume.
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the
suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social
responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive
excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment
practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of
fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation's finest
institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and
draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a
designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded
hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates
with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable
commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an
Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/25279/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/