Technology Support Associate
Suffolk Public Library System
The Suffolk Public Library in Virginia is seeking a motivated part-time
Technology Support Associate. This position will work in the Technology and
Content Strategy Department, supporting library staff and the Suffolk
community by creating and maintaining the infrastructure and systems that
provide access to information and library services.
Under general supervision, provides coordination and supervision of Technology
Support in the Suffolk Public Library. Work involves coordinating the
activities of the assigned area of responsibility, supervising subordinate
staff, collaborating with the public, other City departments and agencies and
preparing various reports and schedules. In addition to their specialized
tasks, employee is also responsible for performing such duties as checking
library materials in and out, collecting overdue fines, accepting reserve
requests and providing reference assistance to library patrons. Employee must
exercise independent judgment and initiative in planning and organizing
aspects of library services. Employee must also exercise tact and courtesy in
frequent contact with library patrons and the general public.
* Provides technical support to users by researching and troubleshooting problems. Responds to questions and helpdesk tickets in a prompt and courteous manner. Compiles documentation pertinent to helpdesk requests and outlines their resolution.
* Trains staff on basic technology skills.
* Maintains Library staff and public computers and performs preventive maintenance under supervision of the Technology & Content Strategy Manager. Performs hands on tasks on Library desktops and tablets, including installing, removing and updating software, installing hardware and configuring systems and applications.
* Manages the Library's technology inventory.
* Coordinates and supervises the operations of a specialized area in the Suffolk Public Library System.
* Ensures compliance with library policies and procedures.
* Performs administrative duties such as preparing and analyzing statistical reports, performing outreach, monitoring discretionary spending of a limited budget and delivering programs and events.
* Prepares statistical and financial reports for levels of service, attendance, transactions, etc. in specialized area assigned and as requested by management. Prepares and produces financial/budgetary reports monthly.
* Increases effectiveness of Library computer systems by identifying issues, creating comprehensive improvement plans and recommending changes.
* Performs tasks at the circulation desk of the library including checking library materials in and out, preparing books to be shelved, registering and processing library cards, collecting materials for the book depository and securing the library at the end of the business day.
* Directs, advises, provides, assists and instructs patrons with locating library materials, answering reference and directional questions and placing reserve requests.
* Attends or conducts staff meetings to exchange information; attends in-service training and/or professional classes, seminars or conferences to further develop professional skills.
Performs other related work as required.
Bachelor's degree in computer science, information systems or a related field,
and 3 to 5 years of experience in public library or IT or Help Desk support
services; ability to communicate and coordinate with outside vendors for
technical support or any equivalent combination of training and experience
which provides the required skills, knowledge and
abilities. Requires a valid driver's license.
Experience with Microsoft Office applications, desktop and mobile operating
systems, such as Windows 7, 8 and 10 and diagnostic tools.
Knowledge of emerging technologies and networking concepts including email,
VPNs and firewalls.
**_This is a part time position working up to 29 hours per week that may require some evening/weekend hours._**
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/25870/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/