Web Application Developer
Kalamazoo Public Library
Position Summary:** Responsible for creating and
maintaining high quality, innovative solutions that support
library websites, applications, databases and the content management system
under the general supervision of the Head of Branch and IT
Services. Responsibilities include hands-on coding, systems
analysis, and design.
**Duties and Responsibilities**
1. Maintains and supports the library websites to include public website,
intranet and SharePoint sites. Develops and implements web forms, web
applications, web parts and user interfaces.
2. Monitors web and database performance and event logs and identifies
potential problems and risks using proactive prevention methods in order to
maintain maximum performance and uptime.
3. Designs, manages and maintains Access, SQL and SharePoint databases
including upgrades, backup and recovery and data migration. Maintains
synchronization of development, staging and production environments.
4. Customizes and manages third party software and cloud-based applications to
include digital signage, library calendar and room reservation systems;
consults with software engineers, support technicians and consultants to
create customizations and troubleshoot functional issues.
5. Collaborates with Web Coordinator, Marketing & Communications Manager, IT
staff and other library work groups to develop and improve the appearance and
functionality of library's digital resources and services to include calendar
feeds, summer reading games, Local Organization Directory, digital sign feeds
and website widgets.
6. Identifies ways to automate solutions, improve work processes and pursue
7. Develops and maintains data collection, analysis and reporting structures
that support library operations as requested.
8. Provides onsite technical support to ensure a stable and reliable
performance and uptime of library digital resources.
Diagnoses, resolves and reports incidences and work orders entered in helpdesk
application. Provides after-hours and weekend technical
support as needed.
9. Develops and presents group and individual staff training upon request.
Collaborates intra- and inter-departmentally in the development of programming
for digital lab and other digital initiatives as assigned.
10. Supervises Web Systems intern; engages in selecting, scheduling,
delegating, training and coaching; evaluates intern and works to motivate and
enhance work performance.
11. Performs other related duties and special projects as assigned.
• Bachelor's degree in CSC, CIS or related field or work equivalency.
• Two years of website and application design/development experience.
**Essential Professional Competencies**
• Maintains general knowledge of current library processes and procedures.
• Demonstrates ability to code web pages to match visual design specifications
that render correctly in all major browsers and platforms.
• Demonstrates familiarity with PHP, ASP.NET, Ruby on Rails programming
languages; Drupal and WordPress content management systems.
• Demonstrates proficiency with Windows server & ASP.NET environments
• Demonstrates proficiency with Windows and Web application development,
Object Oriented Programming and Responsive Web Design.
• Possesses working knowledge of system analysis and design best practices
including System Development Life Cycle.
• Demonstrates proficiency with web development and management tools,
programming languages and techniques to include:
o Visual Studio
o Internet Information Services
o SharePoint 2010 & 2013, SharePoint Designer
• Programming languages: VB.net, C#, VBA, XML, HTML 4, HTML 5, CSS3,
• Demonstrate proficiency with relational database structures and data
normalization and database management and administration software to include:
o SQL 2008 & 2014
• Demonstrates familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud products.
• Demonstrates working knowledge of Apple iOS and OS.
• Demonstrates understanding of code versioning tools such as experience with
Git and Gulp.
• Demonstrates a solid understanding of how web applications work including
security, session management and best development practices.
• Demonstrates working knowledge of photo and movie editing and digitization
• Demonstrates ability to comprehend technical specs, ask appropriate
technical questions, and raise concerns as necessary.
**Salary** $52,180 - $70,180 annually. Comprehensive benefits package includes health insurance with employee contribution; fully paid dental, vision, LTD and life insurance; fully paid retirement; vacation, sick leave, and holidays.
**Position Type** Full-time/Regular
Application with cover letter and resume are required for
consideration. Please see our website www.kpl.gov/jobs/ to
**Deadline for applications is Monday, June 20, 2016.**
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/26327/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/