Just a reminder - first preference goes to applications received by
tomorrow, July 15, 2016. Please let me know if you have any questions about
the job - we think this is a great opportunity! We strongly encourage
applications from developers of color; queer, transgender, & non-binary
developers, and developers with disabilities.
Mark A. Matienzo, Director of Technology
Digital Public Library of America | http://dp.la
[log in to unmask]
- - -
Developer (Data and Usage Analytics)
Digital Public Library of America
The Digital Public Library of America seeks a full-time Developer to support
large-scale processing and analysis of descriptions of and usage data about
open access materials from libraries, archives, and museums across the
States. This position will be directly involved in improving DPLA's
and extract, transform, and load processes, in addition to helping develop
processes and platforms to identify usage patterns of content aggregated by
DPLA across user-facing platforms, social media, and APIs.
We are seeking a curious and enthusiastic individual who recognizes both
technical strengths and areas for growth, who can help us work effectively
further DPLA's mission to bring together the riches of America's libraries,
archives, and museums, and make them freely available to all. A belief in
mission, and the drive to accomplish it over time in a collaborative spirit
within and beyond the organization, is essential.
Reporting to the Director for Technology, the Developer:
* Improves DPLA's metadata ingestion and ETL processes to generate RDF
metadata and address data quality issues at scale in a repeatable manner
* Implements hooks and workflows for data collection, analysis and
reporting on data quality and usage metrics throughout DPLA's
* Collaborates closely with internal and external stakeholders in data
management and reuse of DPLA content, including the DPLA Data Services
Coordinator, DPLA engagement and use staff, and staff at DPLA partner
* Actively contributes to the development of staff- and partner-facing
tools for data analysis and business intelligence.
* Performs other related duties and participates in special projects as
As a member of the DPLA Technology Team, the Developer:
* Contributes to design, development, testing, integration, support, and
documentation of user-facing applications and back-end systems.
* Supports content management policies, process, and workflows, and
contributes to the development of new ones.
* Collaborates with internal and external stakeholders in planning and
implementation of applications supporting DPLA's mission, strategic plan,
and special initiatives.
* Maintains knowledge of emerging technologies to support the DPLA's
* Embodies and promotes the philosophy of open source, shared, and
community-built software and technologies.
* Ensures both high quality and reasonable throughput in data processing.
* Brings creative vision around possibilities for work with data that we
haven't yet imagined.
* 5+ years professional experience in software development or a related
* A proven ability to build large, reliable, and scalable infrastructure.
* Experience with data integration to support analytics and business
* Demonstrated experience with REST API design.
* Demonstrated experience working effectively in a team environment and
the ability to interact well with stakeholders.
* Desire and enthusiasm about learning new toolsets, programming
languages, or methods to support software development.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* Excellent problem-solving and organizational skills.
* Experience with extract-transform-load workflows with varying input
* Broad experience and understanding of analysis and aggregation of
metrics from heterogenous sources, including usage analytics
* Experience developing visualizations, dashboards, or other user-facing
tools to support business intelligence.
* Advanced knowledge of semantic web technologies such as RDF, SPARQL,
and LDP, and semantic enrichment and reconciliation processes.
* Demonstrated experience with standards, data models, and protocols
including Dublin Core, MODS, METS, MARCXML, IIIF, OAI-PMH, OAI-ORE, and
* A successful history of working effectively in a
This position is full-time. DPLA is a geographically-distributed
with headquarters in Boston, Massachusetts. Ideally, this position would be
situated in the Northeast Corridor between Washington and Boston, but remote
work based in other locations will also be considered.
Like its collection, DPLA is strongly committed to diversity in all of its
forms. We provide a full set of benefits, including health care, life and
disability insurance, and a retirement plan. Starting salary is commensurate
The Digital Public Library of America strives to contain the full breadth of
human expression, from the written word, to works of art and culture, to
records of America's heritage, to the efforts and data of science. Since
launching in April 2013, it has aggregated more than 13 million items from
2,000 institutions. DPLA is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit.
**To apply, send a letter of interest detailing your qualifications, resume
and a list of 3 references in a single PDF to [log in to unmask]** First
preference will be given to applications received by **July 15, 2016,** and
review will continue until the position is filled.