Digital Repository Content Analyst (2 positions)
Duke University Libraries
The Digital Repository Content Analyst manages the ingest, description,
access, and maintenance of materials in the Duke Digital Repository (DDR), as
well as other discipline-based repositories. Working closely with the Metadata
Architect, s/he handles new collection ingest requests and responds to
stakeholder requests for assistance with self-deposit.
* Documents, guides, and manages the processes for ingest into the DDR.
* Prepares digital objects for ingest into the DDR and other discipline-based repositories.
* Performs ingest, verifies results, and troubleshoots problems.
* Working with the Metadata Architect, develops metadata profiles for new materials.
* Following established guidelines, applies descriptive metadata to digital objects during the ingest process.
* Employs or develops software tools and scripts to manage and migrate content sets, or to transform, tidy, and curate raw descriptive data, according to the needs of individual projects.
* Applies necessary access control rules.
* Analyzes collections of digital objects, detects irregularities, and performs forensic analysis of processing results to explain anomalies.
* Provides instruction and consultation for library staff and campus partners on best practices for digital curation.
* Assists with the development of functional requirements related to ingest and object curation for the DDR. Performs acceptance testing and provides bug reports to the development team.
* Actively participates in relevant conferences and meetings. Shares research, networks, and actively engages in national data management conversations. Takes responsibility for developing a personal development plan in alignment with the ITS strategic plan.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
It is the expectation that all Duke University Libraries staff members will
demonstrate exceptional workplace behaviors in the execution of their specific
position responsibilities. These behaviors are customer focus, collaboration,
creative problem solving, continuous learning and a commitment to diversity.
**Required:** BA/BS or higher (or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience).
* Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and package significant amounts of information, with attention to detail and accuracy.
* Expert skills in analytical tools such as MS Excel and OpenRefine.
* Experience in requirements gathering in the early stages of technology projects.
* Must be detail-oriented and skilled at organizing work.
* Have strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills, and an ability to work independently and effectively in a collaborative setting, responding to changes in project goals or requirements.
* Demonstrated commitment to providing outstanding customer services.
* At least two years working in a digital production environment.
* Experience working in a technical environment and communicating with developers, formulating requirements, and performing acceptance testing.
* Familiarity with the research lifecycle in an academic environment.
* Ability to execute command-line scripts.
* Working knowledge of data management capabilities of Python, Ruby, and/or Bash.
* Experience in creating QA plans for data analysis and ensuring the accuracy of results of data studies.
* Must be able to work in an environment in which exposure to materials containing dust and mold is possible
* Normal office environment
* Occasional weekend shifts required.
* Occasional travel required
These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work
being performed by the employee in this position. They are not intended to be
construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills
required of a person in this position.
**Salary and Benefits**
Salary dependent on qualifications and experience. Comprehensive benefits
package includes 15 days vacation, 13 holidays, 12 days sick leave; health,
dental, disability and life insurance and support for professional development
Since its founding in 1924, Duke University has grown into one of the most
prestigious private universities in the world and its medical center ranks
annually among the top in the nation. The Duke University Libraries are the
shared center of the university's intellectual life, connecting people and
ideas. The Libraries consist of the Perkins Library, Bostock Library,
Rubenstein Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Lilly Library, and Music Library,
and the library at the Duke Marine Laboratory in Beaufort. Duke's library
holdings of 6.2 million volumes are among the largest of private universities
in the United States.
Duke's hometown is Durham, North Carolina, a city with vibrant research,
medical and arts communities, and numerous shops, restaurants and theaters.
Durham is located in the Research Triangle, a growing metropolitan area of
more than one million people that provides a wide range of cultural,
recreational and educational opportunities. The Triangle is conveniently
located just a few hours from the mountains and the coast, offers a moderate
climate, and has been ranked among the best places to live and to do business.
Duke offers a comprehensive benefit packages which includes both traditional
benefits such as health insurance, leave time and retirement, as well as wide
ranging work/life and cultural benefits. Details can be found
An electronic resume, cover letter, and list of 3 references should be
submitted at http://www.hr.duke.edu/jobs/main.html - refer to Requisition #
401147448. Review of applications will begin immediately
and will continue until the position is filled.
Applications which are missing any of the components listed above will not be
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed
to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age,
color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, national
origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status. The Duke
University Libraries have a strong commitment to Affirmative Action and is
actively seeking to increase the racial and ethnic diversity of our staff.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/27039/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/