APPLY AT: http://employment.vassar.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=52105
The Vassar College Libraries seek a collaborative, entrepreneurial, and
experienced professional for the position of digital library developer. We
are looking for a creative problem-solver with a passion for libraries who
enjoys the design, development, and implementation of technical solutions
that will bring our digital scholarship and library technology services to
new levels. The incumbent will work alongside faculty, student, librarian,
and IT colleagues across campus and within open-source communities on
projects that advance research, teaching, and learning. This position is an
excellent opportunity for a self-starter to develop applications and
enhance functionality for digital scholarship, discovery, and repository
The successful candidate will be a critical team member of the Digital
Scholarship and Technology Services Department, creating and maintaining
applications (particularly web applications) that provide current services
and make feature-rich new ones come to life. Our department provides
digital scholarship, digital library, repository, and technology services
to the Libraries and the College and closely collaborates with IT and
academic computing groups on campus. We strive to provide excellent digital
services and collections to the Vassar community and beyond.
Invited candidates will be asked to supply a portfolio or links to relevant
work and sample code (e.g., GitHub).
- Bachelor's degree and two or more years work experience in an academic
or research library environment.
- Demonstrated proficiency in writing web applications with commonly
used digital library coding languages, such as Ruby, PHP, MySQL, XML, or
- Experience with Drupal, WordPress, or similar open-source content
- Familiarity with the Fedora Commons repository system and access
layers (e.g., Islandora, Hydra).
- MLIS, MIS, or equivalent degree.
- Familiarity with web server configuration (specifically Apache and
- Experience working with common digital library or digital scholarship
applications and tools (e.g., Solr, Blacklight, D3.js, Neatline).
- Familiarity with linked open data concepts and techniques (e.g., RDF,
- Experience working with cloud services such as Amazon Web Services/EC2.
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly
selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar is
strongly committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a
liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality,
inclusion and respect for difference. Vassar College is an affirmative
action, equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of
historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.
Head of Digital Scholarship and Technology Services
Vassar College Libraries
[log in to unmask]