Reporting to the Director of Library Technology and Digital Strategies, and
partnering with the Digital Library Program Coordinator and central IT
resources, the Digital Library Architect will provide technical leadership
for Emory University’s Digital Library. This position will assist in
product development of a digital preservation repository based on the Hydra
framework, transition of the repository into an operationalized service,
and once operationalized will assume responsibility for the daily
operations of the Digital Library’s applications and technical
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Math or related field; three years
of software development experience; and product management or business
analysis experience OR an equivalent combination of education, training and
• Familiarity with current and emerging trends in digital library
technologies and infrastructure.
• A good understanding of current trends in metadata and digital
• Expertise architecting and implementing enterprise web applications with
modern frameworks such as Ruby-on-Rails.
• Evidence of capacity for professional development, involvement, and
• Excellent oral and written communication skills; as well as analytical
and organizational skills.
• Experience with Hydra, SOLR, Fedora Commons and related digital object
• Experience working on Open Source software projects.
• Experience with version control, test-driven development, continuous
integration techniques and other development best practices.
• Experience with Linux/Unix operating systems, including scripting.
• Demonstrated expertise in existing and emergent content and storage
management standards and technologies.
• Familiarity with digital library standards, such as MODS, Dublin Core,
IIIF, PCDM, PREMIS, OAI-PMH, ISO 16363, etc.
• Experience working within a large academic or research institution
library and evidence of successful execution of large-scale projects with
Key Responsibilities & Duties
• Engage in national and consortial efforts in the digital library domain,
and seek mutually beneficial partnerships and collaborations with peer
institutions and in the private sector.
• Develop and oversee subcommittees -- both advisory and working groups --
related to the digital library program
• Lead the design and development of the technical architecture for digital
library applications, middleware, systems, and services.
• Develop, publish, and maintain a roadmap for service and infrastructure
• Track technology trends and standards evolution, and contribute to
developments in this field.
• Facilitate requirements gathering; performing analysis; synthesizing
• Actively participate in the development process utilizing the Hydra
• Leverage best practices to ensure development, releases, testing, etc.
meet Hydra Community standards.
• Leads operational support of current and future Digital Library Program