University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Library Information Technology
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign**
**Position Available: **The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. This is a 100% Academic Professional appointment.
**Responsibilities:** Reporting to the Manager of Infrastructure Management and Support, the Systems Administrator will manage IT infrastructure services for administrative, research, and instructional purposes within the Library. This includes maintaining physical and virtual servers, as well as a variety of Library services, such as Web hosting, enterprise printing services, and file storage. We anticipate this position will focus primarily on Linux server environments.
Specific duties and responsibilities include the following:
* Setting up, maintaining, and administering all assigned systems and services.
* Establishing and maintaining patching schedule for all applicable systems.
* Providing written documentation for all applicable services.
* Maintaining current knowledge of security-related issues, industry standards, and IT infrastructure best practices.
* Researching new technologies and analyzing them for fit and value to our environment.
* Performing advanced configuration and automation for common services.
* Installing and supporting third-party software applications.
* Establishing and maintaining suitable resource and performance monitoring on all related systems.
* Demonstrating day-to-day adherence to change-control precepts/practices.
* Maintaining system access control and other security aspects of critical systems.
* Installation, administration and configuration of enterprise storage solutions.
* Other duties as assigned.
Academic Professional employees are encouraged to use "investigation time" to
pursue areas of interest, not directly in support of an immediate program
need, in accordance with the University Library's policy on Investigation Time
for Academic Professional EmployeesSome investigations originating in this manner may evolve into
regular work assignments or production activities.
**Environment: **The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) Library is a leader in the delivery of user services, and active programs in information, instructional, access, and scholarly services that help the Library to maintain its place at the intellectual heart of the campus. The Library also holds one of the preeminent research collections in the world, encompassing more than 13 million volumes and a total of more than 23 million items. The Library is committed to maintaining the strongest collections and service programs possible, and to engaging in research, development, and scholarly practice - all of which support the University's missions of teaching, research, and public engagement. The Library employs approximately 90 faculty members, and more than 300 academic professionals, staff, and graduate assistants. For more information, see: [http://www.library.illinois.edu/](http://www.library.illinois.edu/).
The Infrastructure Management and Support group (IMS) consists of a dedicated
corps (6 APs) of permanent information technology specialists supporting
hardware infrastructure and software applications for the University
Library. IMS specialists work closely with Library faculty
and staff to gather requirements, design, customize, implement, and
continuously support a wide variety of software applications, web services,
and technical infrastructure. Opportunities to investigate
topics, techniques, skills, methods, and procedures of benefit to library
projects and to develop professional skills may be available (5-10% of time,
as determined with supervisor) as are opportunities to participate in other
research grant projects in the Library.
* Bachelor's degree, preferably in computer science or related.
* Three or more years of related professional experience.
* Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
* Substantial technical expertise in Windows or Linux server environments.
* Demonstrated ability to create system and user documentation.
* Demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative team environment.
* Information technology experience within a higher-education environment.
* Experience scripting common or repeated tasks, such as with: Puppet, Facter, Fabric, Chef, Salt, Ansible, Jenkins, Cobbler, Foreman, Docker.
* Experience with command-line scripting languages such as: Bash, Perl, Ruby, Python, PowerShell.
* Experience using source code repository technologies, such as GitHub, Bitbucket/Stash.
* Experience with monitoring tools such as Nagios, Splunk.
* Working knowledge of VMWare virtual server environments.
* Organizational skills to plan and implement long-term projects.
* Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate within a diverse, high-performance team environment.
* A strong commitment to customer service.
**Campus and Community:** The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is a comprehensive and major public land-grant university (Doctoral/Research University-Extensive) that is ranked among the best in the world. Chartered in 1867, it provides undergraduate and graduate education in more than 150 fields of study, conducts theoretical and applied research, and provides public service to the state and the nation. It employs 3,000 faculty members who serve 31,000 undergraduates and 12,000 graduate and professional students; approximately 25% of faculty receives campus-wide recognition each year for excellence in teaching. More information about the campus is available at www.illinois.edu. The University is located in the twin cities of Champaign and Urbana, which have a combined population of 100,000 and are situated about 140 miles south of Chicago, 120 miles west of Indianapolis, and 170 northeast of St. Louis. The University and its surrounding communities offer a cultural and recreational environment ideally suited to the work of a major research institution. For more information about the community, visit: [http://illinois.edu/about/community/community.html](http://illinois.edu/about/community/community.html) or [http://www.ccchamber.org/](http://www.ccchamber.org/).
**To Apply:** To ensure full consideration, please complete your candidate profile at [https://jobs.illinois.edu](https://jobs.illinois.edu) and upload a letter of interest, resume, contact information including email addresses for three professional references. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For questions, please call: 217-333-8169.
**Deadline: **In order to ensure full consideration we urge candidates to submit application materials on or before September 30, 2016.
_The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job
candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer._
**_Illinois is an Affirmative Action /Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity. [www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu](http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu)_**
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/27207/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/