LISTSERV mailing list manager LISTSERV 16.5

Help for CODE4LIB Archives


CODE4LIB Archives

CODE4LIB Archives


CODE4LIB@LISTS.CLIR.ORG


View:

Message:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

Font:

Proportional Font

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

CODE4LIB Home

CODE4LIB Home

CODE4LIB  November 2016

CODE4LIB November 2016

Subject:

Re: Post-election statement draft - also waiting for merge

From:

Jason Bengtson <[log in to unmask]>

Reply-To:

Code for Libraries <[log in to unmask]>

Date:

Thu, 17 Nov 2016 12:02:10 -0600

Content-Type:

text/plain

Parts/Attachments:

Parts/Attachments

text/plain (122 lines)

Hi Bohyun,

Well said. Thank you for your work on this. I've pasted the statement
below, with a few suggested tweaks. I'm not sure if I would remember to
check back about the merge (knowing me, probably not):


Under ordinary circumstances, there shouldn't be a great need for Code4Lib
to reiterate our values of diversity, equity, and inclusion. However, this
year's contentious election season followed by many appalling acts of hate
around the country has left us with no choice but to re-affirm our
unfaltering support and strong commitment to these fundamental values.

As technologists, we always look for ways to make things work better. We
love efficiency; we love elegance; we aspire to be free of any pain point
or bug in everything we design and build. We do this not only for the sake
of efficiency, elegance, and our deeply-rooted desire to improve things; we
do this for the sake of people. Our ultimate aspiration is to help people
get things done with the tools we painstakingly create. For this, we try to
understand our users, with all their differences in race, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic
information, veteran status, ancestry, national or ethnic origin, language,
socio-economic background, citizenship status, etc. This is why we rely on
empathy as one of the most important guiding principles in all we do as
technologists. Without our such empathy, our work as a developer, designer,
information specialist, and IT professional would be missing its heart.

Code4Lib has a proud history of recognizing the lack of diversity in the
technology sector as a serious problem and acting to address it head-on. In
the Code4Lib community, diversity, equity, and inclusion are not mere
words. They underpin all we do, be it Diversity Scholarships, the Newcomer
Dinner, our Code of Conduct, or our decision regarding where to host our
next Code4Lib conference. These actions represent and reflect our shared
and cherished understanding that we always solve difficult problems better
together.

As a community that deeply values diversity, equity, and inclusion,
Code4Lib will always be a welcoming and safe community for all who are
passionate about information and technology. Everyone in our community is
valued and respected regardless of what they look like, what their faiths
are, what disabilities they may have, how they identify their gender, who
they love, where they come from, what language they speak, or where they
live. There is no place for bigotry, intolerance, hatred, harassment, or
violence in Code4Lib. Today, we stand together in unshakeable support of
diversity, equity, and inclusion.

Best regards,

*Jason Bengtson, MLIS, MA*
Assistant Director, IT Services
K-State Libraries
414 Hale Library
Manhattan, KS 66506
785-532-7450
[log in to unmask]
www.jasonbengtson.com

On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 11:40 AM, Kim, Bohyun <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As promised, I issued a pull request with 5 files which includes my draft
> for the post-election statement from Code4Lib.
>
> Someone who has the write access to the C4L repo in Github, please merge.
> You can see the files here.
> https://github.com/code4lib/antiharassment-policy/pull/56/commits/
> 452570ec38b7becafc766c57b8916fa0f9981803
>
> My draft statement also below. You should be able to edit once merged.
> Thanks everyone for standing behind this idea!
>
> Under ordinary circumstances, there shouldn't be a great need for Code4Lib
> to reiterate our values of diversity, equity, and inclusion. However, this
> year's contentious election season followed by many appaling acts of hate
> around the country has left us with no choice but to re-affirm our
> unfaltering support and strong committment to these fundamental values.
>
> As technologists, we always look for ways to make things work better. We
> love efficiency; we love elegance; we aspire to be free of any pain point
> or bug in everything we design and build. But we do this not for the sake
> of efficiency, elegance, and our deeeply-rooted desire to improve things.
> We do this for the sake of people. Our ultimate aspiration is to help
> people get things done with the tools we create with delight. For this, we
> try to understand our users with all their differences in race, sex, sexual
> orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic
> information, veteran status, ancestry, national or ethnic origin,
> launguage, socio-economic background, citizenship status, and more. This is
> why we rely on emphathy as one of the most important guiding principles in
> all we do as technologists. Wihtout our caring, our work as a developer,
> designer, information specialist, and IT professional would be missing its
> heart.
>
> Code4Lib has a proud history of recognizing the lack of diversity in the
> technology sector as a serious problem and acting to address it head-on. In
> the Code4Lib community, diversity, equity, and inclusion are not mere
> words. They underpin all we do from Diversity Scholarships, Newcomer
> Dinner, Code of Conduct, to our decision regarding where to host our next
> Code4Lib conference. They represent and reflect our shared and cherished
> understanding that we always solve difficult problems better together.
>
> As a community that deeply values diviersity, equity, and inclusion,
> Code4Lib will always be a welcoming and safe community for all who are
> passionate about infromation and technology. Everyone in our community is
> valued and respected regardless of what they look like, what their faiths
> are, what disabilities they may have, how they identify their gender, who
> they love, where they come from, what language they speak, or where they
> live. There is no place for bigotry, intolerance, hatred, harrassment, and
> violence in Code4Lib. Today, we stand together in our most forceful support
> for diversity, equity, and inclusion.
>
> Thanks,
> Bohyun
>
> --
> Bohyun Kim, MA, MSLIS
> Associate Director for Library Applications and Knowledge Systems
> University of Maryland, Baltimore | Health Sciences and Human Services
> Library
> [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | 410-706-0405
>

Top of Message | Previous Page | Permalink

Advanced Options


Options

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password


Search Archives

Search Archives


Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe


Archives

July 2019
June 2019
May 2019
April 2019
March 2019
February 2019
January 2019
December 2018
November 2018
October 2018
September 2018
August 2018
July 2018
June 2018
May 2018
April 2018
March 2018
February 2018
January 2018
December 2017
November 2017
October 2017
September 2017
August 2017
July 2017
June 2017
May 2017
April 2017
March 2017
February 2017
January 2017
December 2016
November 2016
October 2016
September 2016
August 2016
July 2016
June 2016
May 2016
April 2016
March 2016
February 2016
January 2016
December 2015
November 2015
October 2015
September 2015
August 2015
July 2015
June 2015
May 2015
April 2015
March 2015
February 2015
January 2015
December 2014
November 2014
October 2014
September 2014
August 2014
July 2014
June 2014
May 2014
April 2014
March 2014
February 2014
January 2014
December 2013
November 2013
October 2013
September 2013
August 2013
July 2013
June 2013
May 2013
April 2013
March 2013
February 2013
January 2013
December 2012
November 2012
October 2012
September 2012
August 2012
July 2012
June 2012
May 2012
April 2012
March 2012
February 2012
January 2012
December 2011
November 2011
October 2011
September 2011
August 2011
July 2011
June 2011
May 2011
April 2011
March 2011
February 2011
January 2011
December 2010
November 2010
October 2010
September 2010
August 2010
July 2010
June 2010
May 2010
April 2010
March 2010
February 2010
January 2010
December 2009
November 2009
October 2009
September 2009
August 2009
July 2009
June 2009
May 2009
April 2009
March 2009
February 2009
January 2009
December 2008
November 2008
October 2008
September 2008
August 2008
July 2008
June 2008
May 2008
April 2008
March 2008
February 2008
January 2008
December 2007
November 2007
October 2007
September 2007
August 2007
July 2007
June 2007
May 2007
April 2007
March 2007
February 2007
January 2007
December 2006
November 2006
October 2006
September 2006
August 2006
July 2006
June 2006
May 2006
April 2006
March 2006
February 2006
January 2006
December 2005
November 2005
October 2005
September 2005
August 2005
July 2005
June 2005
May 2005
April 2005
March 2005
February 2005
January 2005
December 2004
November 2004
October 2004
September 2004
August 2004
July 2004
June 2004
May 2004
April 2004
March 2004
February 2004
January 2004
December 2003
November 2003

ATOM RSS1 RSS2



LISTS.CLIR.ORG

CataList Email List Search Powered by the LISTSERV Email List Manager