Drexel University Libraries seeks a creative and dedicated professional to support key system infrastructure and services. As a member of the Data & Digital Stewardship division, the System Administrator reports to the Manager of Discovery Systems and will be responsible for: the administration of the Libraries' Linux-based servers, virtual system infrastructure, and the services they provide; coordination with campus computing (IRT) for user, policy, and network maintenance; system usability, security, maintenance, and data integrity.
Additionally, the Libraries are engaged in a number of dynamic strategic initiatives that will require this position to plan, implement, and maintain system support for new services, including research data management and digital preservation. These initiatives may also provide the incumbent with the opportunity to perform application development where appropriate.
Job URL: http://www.drexeljobs.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=81868
• Install and maintain Linux servers and related software and services (e.g. Apache, Drupal, CAS/Shibboleth, EZProxy, MySQL).
• Provide system administration support for OS and services including monitoring and maintenance, backups, and log analysis.
• Administer the Libraries' XenServer virtualization infrastructure.
• Provide leadership for the establishment of cloud-based, preservation-level, redundant storage.
• Implement stable and secure environments, respond to and investigate security issues, secure and recover affected systems.
• Ensure authenticated access to electronic journals and databases through administration of the Libraries' EZProxy instance, including addressing security incidents and addressing patron access issues.
• Support data transfers and programmatic connections between library, campus, and vendor system, in coordination with library application developers as needed.
• Develop and keep accurate documentation of projects, infrastructure, and processes.
• As appropriate, participate in application development and enhancement through scripting and programming.
• Keep abreast of current and emerging technologies as they relate to academic educational computing environments.
• Bachelor's degree in Information or Computer Sciences or a related field, or an equivalent level of experience.
• Minimum of 3 years system administration experience, including 2 years Linux system administration experience.
• Ability to design, implement and maintain system infrastructure.
• Knowledge of standard networking protocols, server and networking hardware.
• Demonstrated experience with virtualization software and services (XenServer or VMWare).
• Experience with scripting languages such as Python and BASH.
• Commitment to continuously enhancing skills.
• Strong analytical and problem solving ability.
• Strong oral and written communications skills.
• Demonstrated success in working effectively both independently and within teams.
• Ability to work effectively within a diverse team environment in a dynamic work setting.
• Three or more years Linux system administration experience.
• Experience migrating virtual servers from XenServer to VMWare.
• Experience in an academic, library, or archives environment
• Knowledge of cloud storage and services.
• Experience with a version-control system such as Git or Subversion.
Supplemental Posting Information:
Drexel University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, welcomes individuals from diverse backgrounds and perspectives, and believes that an inclusive and respectful environment enriches the University community and the educational and employment experience of its members. The University prohibits discrimination against individuals on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, status as a veteran or special disabled veteran, gender identity or expression, genetic information, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions and any other prohibited characteristic.
Please visit our website to view all University Policies and Workplace Postings.
Background investigations are required for all new hires as a condition of employment, after the job offer is made. Employment will be contingent upon the University's acceptance of the results of the background investigation.
Interested, qualified applicants may apply at: http://www.drexeljobs.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=81868