Apologies for cross-posting. For more information, see the job posting on the Libraries website<https://www.lib.utk.edu/employment/metadata-librarian/>.
Appointment Rank: Assistant Professor
Salary: minimum $52,000
Available: September 1, 2017, or earlier if search is completed
The University of Tennessee Libraries seeks a curious, innovative, and technically proficient individual to serve as Metadata Librarian. Reporting to the head of Cataloging & Metadata Services, the Metadata Librarian enhances resource discovery and improves access to collections by implementing and supporting metadata strategies associated with digital scholarship and special collections. Working closely with colleagues in the digital library program, the Metadata Librarian will develop workflows to improve efficiency and metadata quality. Serving as the expert on non-MARC metadata, the librarian is expected to participate in decision-making for library digital projects, to coordinate the integration of metadata into production of digital collections, and assist in supporting the Digital Public Library of America service hub for the state of Tennessee.
* Consult with and advise partners and project stakeholders on metadata design based on project requirements
* Create, transform, remediate, and enhance descriptive metadata, primarily in MODS, and train others to do so
* Perform metadata audits of existing digital collections, participate in migration of legacy digital collections to new platforms, and ensure compliance with local and international metadata standards
* Maintain awareness of trends in metadata and resource discovery; share and apply that knowledge in the incumbent's work
* Serve the library profession through involvement in professional organizations and through cooperative efforts with other information professionals
* Engage in scholarly activity through publications, presentations, and other creative outlets
* Master's degree from an ALA accredited program or doctorate in relevant field
* Ability to work effectively both independently and collaboratively in a diverse academic community
* Experience in resource description, including MODS or MARC/RDA
* Working knowledge of XML and XSLT
* Demonstrated understanding of controlled vocabularies and ontologies
* Aptitude for complex, analytical work with the ability to manage multiple priorities and competing deadlines
* Evidence of ability to engage in research, publication, and service consonant with University and Libraries guidelines for tenure and promotion
* Experience with one or more scripting languages such as Ruby, Python, or Perl
* Experience with OAI-PMH
* Experience using tools for metadata manipulation, such as OpenRefine, Oxygen, or Catmandu
* Experience with digital repository platforms (e.g., Fedora Commons, Islandora, or ArchivesSpace), their associated workflows, and accompanying metadata schemes (e.g., Dublin Core)
* Experience with linked data and RDF
* Experience with structural, technical, or preservation metadata
* Experience working with researcher identities such as ORCID or ISNI
* Project management experience
* Training experience
For more information about positions in the Libraries contact Library Administration<http://www.lib.utk.edu/about/administration/>, (865) 974-6600 .
For other positions at the University of Tennessee Knoxville contact University Human Resources<http://hr.utk.edu/recruitment/>, (865) 946-8847.
Application materials may be sent via email attachment to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. Review of applications will begin February 20, 2017, and will continue until the position is filled.