*** Please excuse cross posting ***
GALTER HEALTH SCIENCES LIBRARY
Feinberg School of Medicine
Northwestern University Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute
Northwestern University, Chicago
Data Scientist, Position #00075779
To apply: http://bit.ly/2j5eocL
Galter Health Sciences Library seeks an innovative and energetic data professional to lead a new Research Data Core, including development and design of novel, sustainable data services throughout all stages of the research data lifecycle. The incumbent will develop coordinated programming and resources to provide expert support on technology and tools that support the management, analysis, sharing, communication, and preservation of research data originating from Feinberg School of Medicine. S/he will collaborate closely with Galter Library staff to ensure Research Data services are aligned with the diverse needs of a broad variety of researchers, and s/he will take the initiative to identify and support the technical needs of researchers as well as suggest alternate workflows and provide referral services to other appropriate groups on campus. S/he will be a member of the Digital Systems and Collection Services department (DSCS) and actively participate in programs and projects in DSCS and Galter Library.
* Works with the Feinberg School of Medicine and Galter Library colleagues to launch a Research Data Core for Galter Library in support of data-related aspects of library strategic priorities. The Galter Research Data Core will develop programming to support data-related aspects of the research lifecycle. Programming and services for this new core will address a variety of needs:
* Support for data asset workflows such as policies, practices, and infrastructure for data management, citation, licensing, sharing, and preservation;
* Development of a consultation service for researchers and research teams on technical and non-technical data-related topics, including data organization and management strategies, data policies, data sharing, and various aspects of data analysis, cleaning, and visualization;
* Facilitate broad dissemination of FSM-generated researcher data on appropriate platforms as well as ensure that the Galter Library supports the preservation of data as necessary and required by policy;
* Develop/coordinate programming and educational opportunities in support of the topics described here.
* Coordinate with Galter Library staff to deploy solutions for other areas of priority in the library, including Galter’s Bioinformatics and Biosciences support services, Metrics and Impact Core, and Clinical Informationist program;
* Work across disciplinary, departmental, and divisional boundaries to forge connections between units, resources, and applications. Facilitate necessary communication between a variety of teams to carry out the technical aspects of various programs and help cultivate partnerships and strengthen communication between researchers, curators, technologists, and administrators;
* Stay current on trends and issues in the areas of linked data, ontologies, and semantic web technologies;
* Stay current on trends and issues in data-related topics such as database structure, platforms, and power applications (such as E-Utilities at NCBI and other comparable resources);
* Contributes to library-wide planning activities and collaborates with colleagues on projects in areas of shared interest. Actively participates in appropriate library programs and services where appropriate;
* Manages projects to effectively and efficiently provide services. Seeks grant opportunities to fund innovation efforts;
* Attends faculty and student research seminars, department wide conference and university symposia to keep abreast of current research. Serves on University and Library committees as appropriate;
* Participates in scholarly societies, attends academic conferences, and represents the Library in relevant academic activities; and
* Performs other tasks and duties as assigned, relative to abilities and experience.
* Awareness of issues and technical challenges related to use, discovery, and archiving of digital data.
* Master's degree in in Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Biostatistics, Library or Information Science, Statistics or other relevant subject or comparable work experience.
* One year of work experience in the field of data management or information technology in academia or industry.
* Experience administering, developing, or designing databases (relational, hierarchical, or graph based).
* Teaching experience and/or demonstrated success in developing and organizing training events.
* Strong ability to think and act strategically, and demonstrated success at bringing concepts to realization while meeting deadlines.
* Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively with a diverse population of faculty/staff, students, and colleagues.
* Demonstrated ability to learn new technology tools/skills.
* Evidence of professional initiative and problem-solving skills.
* Excellent analytical, interpersonal, time management, organizational and problem-solving skills.
* Excellent written and oral communication skills; demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both in person and virtually using a variety of media and technologies.
* PhD in Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Biostatistics, Statistics or other relevant subject or comparable work experience.
* Familiarity with linked data, ontologies, and semantic web technologies.
* Demonstrated proficiency with R and Python.
* Familiarity with biomedical research workflows and evidence of successful participation or collaboration in biomedical research at Northwestern University.
* Demonstrated success with diverse educational and instructional approaches (such as MOOCs, webinars, and traditional didactic sessions) and evidence of successful participation or collaboration in educational activities at Northwestern University.
Rank: Librarian Faculty
Term: non-tenure eligible appointment
Title: Data Scientist
Closing Date for Receipt of Applications: until filled
Proposed Starting Date: 1 May 2017
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Name/Address of Contact Person: Margarita Chung ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>)
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.