Posting on behalf of NC LIVE. Please direct questions to the NCSU Libraries
Personnel Services Office at (919) 515-3522.
Full job posting / to apply <https://jobs.ncsu.edu/postings/87011>
Web and Database Development Librarian, NC LIVE (Raleigh, NC)
NC LIVE is seeking a Web and Database Development Librarian to lead the
design and management of the technologies that support a renowned statewide
library consortium. The Web and Database Development Librarian will be
responsible for all technical aspects of NC LIVE’s web presence, systems
integration, and the services that support its digital collections. Your
time will be allocated between systems architecting, ongoing maintenance of
existing services, and software development to support new initiatives.
You will have the opportunity to collaborate with member librarians and
developers to integrate their local tools and services with NC LIVE’s
The Web and Database Development Librarian will also work with an external
vendor to ensure the robustness and reliability of NC LIVE’s hosted
infrastructure; monitor and assist in the resolution of technical issues
related to NC LIVE content and services; and serve as liaison to one
With a reputation as North Carolina’s premier partner for statewide library
cooperation and shared digital content, NC LIVE provides 200 public and
academic libraries with access to an essential and powerful array of core
online resources that support education, enhance economic development, and
improve the quality of life for every North Carolinian.
NC LIVE delivers shared access to a diverse digital collection that
includes full-text article databases, ebooks and audio books, streaming
video, demographic and business data, as well as reference materials,
language learning tools, and more. In addition, the staff of seven provides
authentication, discovery, and support services to member libraries in
order to maximize use and return on investment in digital content.
Since its founding in 1997 by representatives of its four Communities of
Interest (the community college system, the independent colleges and
universities, the public libraries and State Library, and the state
university system), NC LIVE has enjoyed a track record of success using
entrepreneurial and innovative approaches that build on its collaborative
infrastructure. The organization acts as a conduit for partnership as its
Executive Director engages member libraries, state agencies, and other
groups with shared values and goals to deliver content and services that
support North Carolina’s libraries.
NC LIVE has an operating budget of more than $4.3 million and is funded
through recurring state appropriations, with solid annual support from the
independent colleges and universities. The consortium’s offices are
headquartered in Raleigh, North Carolina at its host institution, North
Carolina State University Libraries, well renowned for its achievements in
advancing library technologies and spaces.
The Web and Database Development Librarian works in an agile, highly
collaborative environment. Duties and responsibilities will include:
- Develop and maintain the NC LIVE website and web applications.
- Perform usability testing and assessment.
- Adapt, integrate and maintain existing database applications, tools
and services including but not limited to a Customer Relationship
Management system, intranet tools, proxy and authentication services.
- Develop/maintain customer-facing tools and back-end services that
support data analysis of consortial content and digital library projects.
- Develop new digital library services through an iterative process that
emphasizes impact, adoption and sustainability.
- Communicate with service providers and vendors to facilitate the
development, maintenance and management of the server infrastructure and
- Collaborate closely with member librarians and development staff.
- Monitor and facilitate the resolution of high-level technical issues
related to NC LIVE sponsored content and services.
- Develop mobile applications.
- Liaise with one Advisory Committee.
- ALA-accredited MLIS, MLS or equivalent advanced degree.
- A proven track-record of innovation.
- Significant experience designing, developing and supporting web sites
- Experience with open source programming languages, including PHP.
- Experience working with Unix/Linux environments and troubleshooting
Unix-based applications and packages.
- Database development experience with relational databases such as
- Familiarity with usability testing, website accessibility standards,
- Familiarity with mobile platforms and responsive design.
- Familiarity with current digital library technologies, standards and
- Ability to work creatively, collaboratively, and effectively both as a
team member and independently and to promote teamwork among colleagues.
- Capacity to thrive in an exciting, ambiguous, future-oriented
environment and to respond effectively to changing needs and priorities.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and interpersonal
- Able to communicate clearly and succinctly both verbally and in
reports and presentations.
- Valid driver license and ability to travel to NC LIVE member libraries
across the State.
- Familiarity with customer relationship management systems.
- Familiarity with Drupal CMS.
- Experience working in or on behalf of libraries.
- Experience with APIs and/or search engine technologies.
Salary and Benefits
The Libraries offers a highly competitive salary in recognition of
applicable education and experience for this position. Librarians have
non-tenure track faculty status (without levels of rank). Benefits include:
24 days vacation, 12 days sick leave; State of NC preferred provider
medical insurance, and state, TIAA/CREF, or other retirement options.
Additional and optional dental, life, disability, deferred compensation,
and legal plans are offered. Tuition waiver program for all campuses of The
University of North Carolina is available.
Applications will be reviewed upon receipt; applications will be accepted
until finalist candidates are selected. Candidates are encouraged to apply
as soon as possible to receive full consideration. The nomination committee
may invite candidates for confidential, pre-interview screenings.
Appointment requires successful completion of background check. This
position is available immediately; start date is negotiable. Applicants
must apply through the NC State University online employment website. For
assistance with this process contact NCSU Libraries Personnel Services
Office (919) 515-3522.