Duties & Responsibilities
Under the direction of the Head of Assessment for Harvard Library, the Data Analyst supports the development of the practices, applications, and technologies for the collection, integration, analysis, and presentation of library information. The analysts supports assessment and planning efforts throughout Harvard Library to develop a data-informed approach to achieving strategic objectives related to library operations and user needs; supports data management, analysis, and reporting needs across the Libraries; and coordinates and delivers training on evaluation, data, and reporting tools. The Coordinator supports the delivery of timely, appropriate, and high quality data to members of the Harvard Library community.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Collects, analyzes, builds visualizations and dashboards, and reports for quantitative and qualitative data gathered from various sources including library systems, vendor statistics, observations, surveys, web analytics, interviews, and focus groups.
• Uses a variety of tools, including databases, spreadsheets, presentation, data visualization, and reporting applications to gather data and prepare reports as directed by the Head.
• Manages the joining of disparate data sets; manages data quality, integrity, and clean up. Constructs and analyzes queries.
• Supports the development and implementation of a data inventory, and data storage and access infrastructure.
• Coordinates logistics of cross-departmental quantitative and qualitative user and research studies and supports assessment-focused data collection, analysis, and dissemination of findings with guidance from the Head of Assessment.
• Gathers materials for consultation, training, and documentation to support library staff as they gather, process, analyze, manage, and report data related to library resources and services.
• Works with LTS (Library Technology Services) to gather and access data, and create tools that enable managers and staff to make data-informed decisions.
• Supports communication and publishing of findings, datasets, and reports to library staff in support of decision-making; prepares reports data and findings for dissemination to external audiences as appropriate.
• Supports data collection for annual reporting and operational statistics for the Harvard Library; including gathering, reviewing and evaluating, and synthesizing data submitted by library departments and Harvard University’s professional school libraries. Supports improvements to the Libraries’ program for gathering, archiving and analyzing local statistics on library usage, collections and services, coordinates the response to recurring surveys.
• Provides coordination in the implementation of assessment programs and projects across Harvard Library.
• Researches and documents new methods for data collection, analysis, and documentation for assessment.
• Prepares materials for the Head of Assessment in her responsibilities in University, local, consortial, regional, and national meetings, conferences, and workshops.
• Performs other duties as assigned for Assessment, Planning, and Program Management initiatives.
Position will remain posted until filled, however applications will be considered beginning on Oct. 23, 2017.
• MLS or MIS from a program accredited by the American Library Association and/or higher education with an emphasis in assessment, research, measurement, and statistics. Alternatively, a related master’s degree such as data science or data analytics.
• Two or more years of experience with assessment tools utilizing a wide range of methodologies including qualitative and quantitative that enable others to access data from multiple sources.
• Demonstrated ability with statistical software packages such as SAS, STATA, SPSS or R and Excel.
• Experience conducting assessment in support of social science research projects using quantitative and qualitative methods to document and analyze data preferred
• Proven ability with large, complex data sets and managing data quality – both for statistical analysis and ongoing data management preferred
• Ability to work collaboratively and productively with colleagues and stakeholders at all levels in a large, complex organization.
• Ability to prepare materials of complex information for a variety of audiences
• Firm understanding of customer-focused delivery and the measurement of customer satisfaction
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Ability to prioritize effectively to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously and meet project deadlines.
• Demonstrates strong analytical and problem solving skills.
• Experience with Tableau or similar data visualization tool preferred.
• Familiarity with local systems such as ALEPH, ALMA, Cognos, Qualtics, LibAnalytics preferred
• Experience with Python or SQL preferred.
• Experience with relational databases and the ability to join disparate data sets
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; demonstrates adaptability and flexibility.
• Demonstrates initiative and ability to work collaboratively as a team member and independently.
• Experience working in an academic research library or institution of higher education preferred.
At the Harvard Library, our work is enriched by our diverse campus community. Our unique and wide-ranging abilities, experiences, and perspectives are integral to achieving Harvard University’s mission of excellence in research, teaching, and learning for our patrons, our collections, and our workplace. We believe that an inclusive environment that cultivates and promotes understanding, respect, and collaboration across our diverse workforce enables our success.
We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences and abilities to apply to be a part of our community of over 700 staff members. Our work with faculty, students and researchers to explore answers to intellectual questions, enduring and new, and to seek solutions to the world’s most consequential problems, requires that we not only reflect, but also champion our diverse society.
A global leader, the Harvard Library is a pre-eminent research library that acquires, disseminates, and preserves knowledge. Harvard's Library holdings range from traditional print collections to rapidly expanding inventories of digital resources. It is the work of the Harvard Library to provide the University's faculty, students, and researchers—now and in the future—with comprehensive access over time to all of these materials.
Learn more about our contributions to the academic enterprise by visiting us at http://lib.harvard.edu/about-us and about the Harvard University community athttp://hr.harvard.edu/why-harvard.
The Harvard Library is a proud member of the ACRL Diversity Alliance.
Information Technology, Library
USA - MA - Cambridge
Harvard Library Administration
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Criminal, Education, Identity
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: https://jobs.code4lib.org/jobs/27828-data-analyst