The University of Mary Washington invites applications for the position of Systems Librarian. The librarian in this position will work closely with the Web Services Librarian and with campus IT to support library enterprise systems, including Alma, Primo, ILLiad, and EZproxy. The incumbent will provide systems administration support for both locally hosted virtual servers and external cloud environments. As a member of the UMW Libraries team of collaborative, forward-looking staff, the Systems Librarian will explore new technologies and identify opportunities for their effective application, including the potential integration with other university and library systems.
Responsibilities of this position are:
• Manages the library’s integrated library system by monitoring system performance, troubleshooting issues, and providing training to library staff.
• Maintains system configurations to support library functions. Assists library staff in developing documentation and analytics for the system.
• Works with the Web Services Librarian to develop customizations to meet the needs of library staff and users.
• Manages other library enterprise systems, including ILLiad and EZproxy.
• Works with the staff in Archives and Special Collections to maintain functionality of Preservica, Digital Commons, and related archival applications.
• Provides desktop support for library staff for systems that are library-specific, and coordinates equipment maintenance and replacement with IT staff.
• Provides initial troubleshooting and support for library-specific equipment, including printers and scanners.
• Coordinates service on this equipment with vendors according to the terms of the service contracts.
• Coordinates support from university IT staff as needed for library systems and equipment.
• ALA-accredited graduate degree or accredited graduate degree in another appropriate discipline. Experience working with academic library systems.
• Demonstrated ability to work with programming languages such as PHP, SQL, and Perl and demonstrated knowledge of XML.
• Experience with technologies needed to manage the enterprise environment including system administration tools (e.g. UNIX command structure, Apache, security standards)
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
• Ability to effectively troubleshoot technical problems, isolate causes, and implement solutions.
• Ability to work both independently and in a team environment with minimal supervision, be self-motivated and independently prioritize work.
• Availability and willingness to work a flexible schedule, including occasional evenings and weekends.
• Experience working with Ex Libris Alma and Primo systems, Exposure to research libraries with knowledge of public and technical services operations, as well as library standards (MARC, Dublin Core, OAI-PMH, etc.).
• Understanding of enterprise library applications such as integrated library systems, discovery services, OpenURL resolvers, proxy services, digital repositories, and interlibrary loan.
• Ability to integrate technology into the provision of library services.
• Aptitude and ability to develop in-depth knowledge of specialized library applications.
• Ability to work collaboratively with diverse colleagues, faculty, and students.
Starting salary is $46,000. https://careers.umw.edu/postings/6177 Apply by 10/20/2017.
The University of Mary Washington accepts only completed online application and related materials, to be submitted at https://careers.umw.edu/. Faxed, mailed, or emailed applications or documentation will not be considered. Employment offers are contingent upon the successful completion of criminal background checks. If accommodations are requested either before or at the time of the interview, please contact the Recruitment Office at 540/654-1211.
The University of Mary Washington seeks to enrich its academic environment by continuing to provide equal educational and employment opportunities. We actively encourage women, minorities, disabled individuals and veterans to apply.