Please find below the job advertisement for a Library Group Leader position (R&D Manager 4) located at Los Alamos National Laboratory, in Los Alamos, NM. Please refer to job reference # IRC 58664 and apply at the following link: http://lanl.jobs/los-alamos-nm/research-library-group-leader-rd-manager-4/3C73C84201834794A2475FEA49C315C9/job/. For any questions regarding the position, please contact Alicia Gasca at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. (Please excuse cross-posting).
What You Will Do
Come join the best and brightest minds in the world at one of the most innovative and creative multidisciplinary research institutions engaged in strategic science on behalf of national security. The work we do at Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) matters to our country and the world.
The Los Alamos National Laboratory’s Science Research Library (SRO-RL) is seeking a visionary and creative leader with broad and far-reaching experience. Our Group Leader position is equivalent to a Library Director. The Research Library is part of the Science Resource Office, which is responsible for knowledge generation and stewardship in support of the Lab’s mission.
The successful candidate will direct the Research Library in Scientific Information Science providing modern scientific library applications, services and developing the digital library applications of the future. (S)he will oversee applied information science research, guide collaborative data management, digital repository technology initiatives, and further the development of the premier research collections, and be a leader in interpreting and re-imagining the role of a national laboratory library as a scientific knowledge center.
The successful candidate has an opportunity to build on a track record of internationally recognized successful leadership and innovation. As the responsible manager and primary advocate for the Research Library, the incumbent will, drawing on their knowledge of the breadth of contemporary knowledge practice, develop and mentor personnel; model an environment of professionalism, commitment to excellence, and open collaboration; carry out strategic planning in coordination with institutional goals; promote and deliver Library services to the breadth of the Laboratory’s basic and applied missions; oversee the application of new technologies to deliver library services more effectively and economically; and manage budgets, safety, security, and environmental compliance.
(S)he will advocate for the library as a valued partner in scientific discovery, and represent the Laboratory in dialogue and development of digital services with leaders of other scientific and research libraries.
What You Need
Minimum Job Requirements:
• Demonstrated expertise and success in the personnel management and leadership of staff. As evidenced by effective conflict management and resolution, an open, collaborative, supportive work environment, clear and effective communication and commitment to and support of diversity and AA/EEO.
• Record of success in recruiting, coaching, and inspiring staff, clear communication of priorities, effective change management, recognition of staff talent and effective delegation, and the recruitment, retention, and mentoring of a diverse staff.
• Experience in digital knowledge practices, trends and emerging technologies, including some or all of the following:
a) Existing and emerging tools such as digital library technologies, practices, and other scholarly information resources
b) Legal and intellectual property environment for knowledge services including library collections management, copyright, and contracts
c) Integration of these technologies into a broader institutional IT environment
d) Experience with outcomes and assessment of knowledge services distributed at the organizational level
• Demonstrated success in visionary leadership, goal-setting, and implementation for a complex technical organization, including excellent strategic and tactical planning skills, and coordination with the broader institutional and external environment based on a deep understanding of organizational needs.
• Ability to communicate a vision and a path forward to subordinates, peers, and superiors; demonstrated excellence in verbal, written and visual communication as evidenced by talks and presentations.
• Record of technical leadership, with a record of delivering knowledge services in innovative and effective ways.
• Experience relevant to organizational management, including effective fiscal management and demonstrated commitment to safety, security, and environmental compliance, with a record of continuous process improvement.
• For consideration, applicants should submit a cover letter addressing the minimum and desired requirements along with a resume.
• Technical expertise in emerging aspects of electronic library services such as data management, open access, web-based scholarly communication, and open peer review.
• Leadership of successful technical projects relevant to electronic scholarly communication and open access.
• Demonstrated ability to forge partnerships with diverse partners that lead to improved products and productivity, e.g. success in regional, national, or international multi-institutional cooperation among research libraries, higher education institutions, or technology organizations.
• Five years of experience in the digital knowledge field, including successful and progressively more responsible administrative and managerial experience.
• Experience with the deployment of information technology in secure environments, e.g. classified, partitioned, proprietary, or sensitive.
• Master’s degree in information science, information management, library science, computer science or a related field, or equivalent professional experience.
Los Alamos National Laboratory
[log in to unmask]