New Orleans, LA, US
Howard-Tilton Memorial Library, TULANE UNIVERSITY
The Systems Librarian takes an innovative, service-centric approach to the oversight of several key information management and discovery systems (Voyager, Primo, ILLiad). S/he will be responsible for ensuring the optimal performance of these systems, which will include: enabling data integration across distributed and heterogeneous local and external data sources; providing statistical, usage, and collection reports in support of decision making for library collections and services; and promptly reporting issues/problems to vendor(s) with follow-through until resolution. Additionally, the Systems Librarian has secondary (back-up) responsibility for the link resolver (currently SFX), and proxy authentication systems. As a technology liaison to library departments, s/he participates in formal task groups and committees, both standing and ad-hoc, to analyze and improve systems and services. S/he will have programming skills consummate with the Library’s technology goals and ambitions and will serve as part of a technology team that includes web development, digital collections, and digital publishing initiatives.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES/COMPETENCIES TYPICALLY NEEDED TO PERFORM THIS JOB SUCCESSFULLY:
* Experience managing integrated library systems and resource discovery tools, link resolvers, and
* proxy authentication systems
* Experience managing Windows and Unix based servers
* Demonstrated ability to work with database management systems and scripts (e.g., MS SQL,
* MySQL, Oracle, or MS Access) and writing queries in SQL
* Programming in XSLT, PHP, Ruby, or Python
* Demonstrated analytical, technical, and troubleshooting skills for complex applications
* Significant experience in project management
* Strong service orientation
* Proficiency in written and interpersonal communication
* Ability to succeed both independently and in a collaborative team environment
* Ability to function fully and competently at technology competency Levels I, II and III outlined in
* HTML Core Technology Competencies for Employees. (See https://library.tulane.edu/sites/library.tulane.edu/files/documents/core_technology_competencies.pdf )
* Responsible for all aspects of the Integrated Library System (Voyager) and the resource discovery tool (Primo)
* Serves as primary contact with Ex Libris for Voyager and Primo
* Provides functional support for all Voyager modules, and creation of custom SQL reports
* Implements enhancements and customizations as determined by relevant library committees or responsible administrators
* Integrates locally developed and third-party applications
* Serves as backup system administrator for SFX, MetaLib and EZProxy for troubleshooting and reporting system problems
* Maintains current awareness of library technologies; investigates emerging information technologies and assesses their potential for library use
* Librarianship is an evolving profession and the Systems Librarian is expected to develop expertise in emerging technologies. He or she is expected to lead and/or participate in new and innovative library projects. Exhibits a willingness to assume additional duties whether or not specifically mentioned in this job description. This librarian works cooperatively with staff and other librarians as well as with faculty, students, and other librarians at other libraries. He or she contributes service to library committees and task forces as well as to the profession
* ALA-accredited MLS or another graduate degree in information technology, computer science, or other technology field
* At least two years’ relevant experience in an academic or research library
* Familiarity with bibliographic record structure and classification systems
* Experience with Primo, Voyager, Islandora, ArchivesSpace and ILLiad
* Experience integrating a wide variety of third-party applications into library information systems
* Knowledge of authentication using LDAP and Shibboleth
* Proficiency with standard computer hardware and desktop applications, including deployment
How To Apply
Click "Apply Now" to apply for this job.
To ensure full consideration, applicants must submit a letter of application, resume, and the names with full contact information of 3 or more professional references. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until a suitable candidate is selected.
This posting will remain open until filled.
Tulane is an EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled employer.
Direct link: http://bit.ly/2ujtRIH
— Candace Maurice