SCHOLARS' COMMONS LIBRARIAN
ASSISTANT LIBRARIAN OR ASSOCIATE LIBRARIAN
INDIANA UNIVERSITY BLOOMINGTON LIBRARIES
The Indiana University Libraries seek a creative, innovative and user-focused individual to join the Reference & Scholars' Commons department as Scholars' Commons Librarian. The Scholars' Commons' (SC) services and space have been designed to reinforce and extend the IU Libraries' great strength in the area of digital scholarship, to bring together digital tools and methods with traditional scholarly inquiry. Working in a highly collegial environment, the Scholars' Commons Librarian is responsible for collaborating with library and university partners to envision, develop, and sustain a robust program of exhibits, workshops, lectures and presentations that highlight library collections and engage researchers and faculty in traditional and new forms of scholarship. Working within a powerful academic service hub that supports researchers at every stage of their scholarship through innovative integrations of space, technology and expertise, the successful candidate has the unique opportunity to help shape the evolving direction and development of the Scholars' Commons vision and programming. Candidates who have knowledge and experience with digital scholarship, instructional design, scholarly communication, assessment, and/or pedagogical practices will be given the highest consideration. This is a tenure-track position reporting to the Head of Reference & Scholars' Commons.
* Lead the creation and coordination of programming within and through the Scholars' Commons to support research, scholarship, teaching and learning
* Act as primary point of contact for coordination and development of Scholars' Commons exhibits, events, lectures, and presentations that highlight library collections and engage researchers and faculty in traditional and new forms of scholarship
* Plan, organize, and facilitate practical workshop series targeting faculty and graduate students
* Conduct program evaluations on an ongoing basis, assessing effectiveness and impact of existing programs and identifying opportunities for new programming
* Collaborate in the design, implementation, and maintenance of instructional tools and services that meet the needs of discipline/interdisciplinary research communities
* Coordinate physical displays within the Wells Library, including lobby cases and Scholars' Commons exhibit area
* Coordinate publicity and marketing efforts to promote engagement with Scholars' Commons programming
* Actively promote and advocate for the Libraries through outreach events and activities, both curricular and co-curricular
* Provide timely, attentive, and personalized reference and research support
* Hire, train, and supervise one full-time staff position and part-time student employees
* Promote the Libraries' culture of diversity and inclusion, and support the values outlined in IU Bloomington's Campus Bicentennial Strategic Plan (https://provost.indiana.edu/strategic-plan/), the Libraries Strategic Plan (https://libraries.indiana.edu/strategicplan), and the Libraries' Diversity Strategic Plan (https://libraries.indiana.edu/file/diversity-strategic-plan-20162017pdf<https://libraries.indiana.edu/file/diversity-strategic-plan-20162017pdf%20>).
* ALA accredited master's degree in library or information science; candidates with an advanced degree in a relevant subject area and appropriate experience in an academic setting will also be considered.
* Two years' experience in an academic library or higher education setting.
* Strong public service orientation.
* Demonstrated ability to deliver in-person and online reference services.
* Good organization skills and an aptitude for analytical and detailed work.
* Demonstrated evidence of designing and implementing user-centered services and/or instruction, curricular or co-curricular.
* Knowledge and understanding of key issues and trends that affect academic libraries and higher education.
* Ability to work proactively and independently as well as collegially in a complex, rapidly changing and professionally diverse environment.
* Creative, engaging, and collaborative work style.
* Excellent written and oral communication skills and ability to communicate and work effectively with diverse populations.
* Ability to summarize complex findings and present results of assessment activities.
* Ability to meet the requirements of a tenure-track librarian position. (https://libraries.indiana.edu/file/promotion-and-tenure-criteria-iub-librarians-pdf).
* Understanding and valuing of diversity and the importance of inclusion as demonstrated through a commitment to apply and incorporate the differences, complexities, and opportunities that diversity brings to an organization.
* Supervisory experience.
* Demonstrated knowledge of instructional design, pedagogy, and assessment principles.
* Demonstrated knowledge of trends and issues in scholarly communication
* Familiarity with digital scholarship tools, methodologies, and initiatives.
Applications received by Friday, February 23, 2018 will be given full consideration. The position will remain open until filled. Interested candidates should review the application requirements and submit their application at https://indiana.peopleadmin.com<https://indiana.peopleadmin.com/>.
Questions regarding the position or application process can be directed to: Jennifer Chaffin, Director of Human Resources, Libraries Human Resources, Herman B Wells Library 205, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405 - Phone: 812-855-8196 - Fax: 812-855-2576 - Email: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.
Complete posting together with information regarding benefit programs, etc., is available at:
For more information about Indiana University Bloomington, go to https://www.indiana.edu/. Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or identity, national origin, disability status or protected veteran status.
Courtney Greene McDonald
Head, Discovery & User Experience, and Associate Librarian
Interim Head of Reference Services & Scholars' Commons
Wells Library E170, Indiana University, 1320 E 10th St, Bloomington IN 47405
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | 812.855.4217<tel:812.855.4217> | 812.855.2062 (fax)