Auburn University Libraries seeks a Systems Administrator within the Library Systems Department. Please consider becoming part of our team!
Specialist IV/V, Information Technology (System Administrator)
$45,100 - $86,400
THE POSITION TITLE FOR THIS POSITION HAS BEEN UPDATED
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Supporting library servers; primary web server; catalog and discovery layer; interlibrary loan system; proxy server for electronic resources (primarily for off-campus access); digital collections; digital preservation; internal tools (e.g. scheduling software, ticketing and documentation platforms); general file storage
Installing and configuring new servers in the datacenter managed by central campus IT (OIT); adding detailed working notes to related tickets in the HelpDesk platform (e.g., to allow for easy hand-off with co-workers); committing configuration or code changes to source/version control; maintaining internal wiki pages (guides, configuration details, etc.)
Monitoring and supporting the use of the Library Systems Department's ticketing system ("libhelp") and responding to problem reports and requests for assistance
Performing preventive maintenance; diagnosing, repairing, or replacing defective or malfunctioning equipment
Preparing and maintaining documentation for performed tasks and procedures and all server changes
Helping to bring the Libraries into compliance with IT related University policies (i.e.: cyber security compliance)
Serving as a departmental liaison to the Auburn University Office of Information Technology (OIT)
Regular monitoring and patching
Serving on library committees as needed; and representing the Auburn University Libraries at the state, regional, and national levels as appropriate
Handling DNS, Firewall, IP Administration, and SSL certificate requests through the Auburn University Office of Information Technology (OIT)
Assisting with general (e.g., "Desktop Support") IT support issues
Sharing a rotating weekly schedule of evening and weekend on-call duty
Configuring and maintaining mail relay server(s) for library servers and desktops
Configuring and maintaining log management and processing system(s)
Following all protocols regarding handling sensitive and confidential information (e.g. PII, HR)
May perform other general and/or related duties as assigned. After-hours and on-call service should be expected.
Entry into applicant pool requires a high school diploma or equivalent plus five (5) years of experience as a software developer, database designer or administrator, and/or system administrator. Employer will consider advanced degrees in lieu of experience. The salary range for Level IV is $45,100 - $75,100.
Level V requires a Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution plus four (4) years of experience as a software developer, database designer or administrator, and/or system administrator. Employer will consider advanced degrees in lieu of experience. The salary range for Level V is $51,900 - $86,400.
Skill set should include:
1. Experience administering Linux, Solaris, or other Unix servers, including shell scripting, patching, managing local firewalls, using logs for troubleshooting, and keeping the OS running.
2. Experience with using and configuring Nagios (or a fork such as Icinga, Naemon), Zabbix or other monitoring/reporting platforms.
3. Experience using virtual environments for testing, troubleshooting and deployment purposes (e.g., VMware Workstation, Oracle VirtualBox, Microsoft Hyper-V).
4. Proficiency in Windows desktop (7 and above) operating systems.
5. Proficiency with Windows Server (2008r2 and above) operating systems.
6. Experience working with Active Directory to manage users, groups, group policies and preferences.
7. Proven ability to successfully initiate, track, and manage multiple detail-oriented projects simultaneously.
8. Basic understanding of remote storage protocols (e.g., iSCSI, NFS, SMB, etc.).
9. Experience installing and configuring basic desktop computer hardware and peripherals.
10. Effective written and interpersonal communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group of users and support staff.
Individual must be committed to the delivery of quality service and be self-motivated, able to work both independently under minimal supervision and as a team member, and comfortable learning and working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
Please use the attachment feature of the online employment system and attach the following: cover letter, resume, and references. Only complete application packets will be considered for review.
A commitment to an inclusive and diverse campus environment.
Desired qualifications include:
1. A Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems, Management Information Systems or related field.
2. Experience with Python, Ruby, PHP, Perl, Bash, Korn Shell (ksh) or another scripting language to perform basic administrative tasks (e.g., build small tools to help with automation, monitoring checks for systems like Nagios).
3. Experience with ELK stack (ElasticSearch, Logstash, Kibana), Splunk, Graylog or other log management and discovery frameworks.
4. Experience using and managing Subversion, Git or Mercurial source control management (SCM) systems.
5. Proficiency managing host-level firewalls (e.g., Group Policy, ufw, firewall-cmd, iptables, etc.).
6. Experience managing systems configured with RAID storage devices (e.g., setup, diagnosis and safe replacement of failed disks).
7. Proficiency with VMware Workstation, VMware ESXi, Microsoft Hyper-V, Xen, KVM or other hypervisors.
8. Knowledge of and experience working with Macintosh OS X and/or other flavors of Unix.
9. Experience installing/maintaining Ansible, Puppet, Chef, SaltStack, Terraform or other automation frameworks.
10. Experience with Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft Access or other commercial relational database management systems.
11. Experience in database administration of PostgreSQL, MySQL, MariaDB or other open-source relational database management systems.
12. Experience installing and configuring network storage devices.
13. Experience developing and maintaining custom tools to assist with system maintenance, reporting or diagnosis.
Job Class Code
Administrative Grade 34 and above
Quicklink for Posting:
Nadine P. Ellero, MLS
Head of Technical Services
Ralph Brown Draughon Library
231 Mell Street
Auburn, AL 36849-5606
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
ORCID ID: orcid.org/0000-0003-3543-0994