--- with apologies for cross-posting ----
The deadline for abstract submission has been extended to 12 March 2018.
IIPC WEB ARCHIVING CONFERENCE 2018: Call for Papers
WEB ARCHIVING HISTORIES AND FUTURES
National Library of New Zealand
Wellington 13–15 November 2018
Web archiving is now into its third decade of practice and there is much experience to reflect upon and many achievements to acknowledge. It is also a critical time to look to the future and to the technical, legal, ethical and organisational challenges that saving the web for citizens and for researchers continue to present. As established web archives mature and new initiatives emerge, web archive artefacts and data become more valuable for our understanding of societies, politics, cultures and economies in a world of increasingly contested narratives.
In 2018 the International Internet Preservation Consortium<http://netpreserve.org> (IIPC) will celebrate 15 years as the premier international body fostering the development of web archiving tools, standards, practice and research. For the first time in a decade, the IIPC’s annual web archiving conference will come to Australasia, providing a rare opportunity for web curators, librarians, archivists, historians, humanists, researchers, developers, computer scientists and others interested in the preservation of world’s web heritage to come together at this international forum in the southern hemisphere.
Proposals on all aspects of web archiving practice as well as researching and using web archives are invited. Particularly welcome are proposals related to the Australasian, Asia Pacific and southern hemisphere regions; proposals from the perspective of new users and researchers; and proposals addressing the major conference themes of histories and futures. Potential topics include:
Building web archives
* Harvesting approaches, tools and challenges
* Collection development and curation
* Legal and ethical issues in collecting content
Maintaining web archive content and operations
* Preservation and sustainability issues and strategies
* Institutional and organizational structures and approaches
* Collection assessment and metrics
* Collection management tools
* Description and access
Using and researching web archives
* User experience and discovery
* Legal, ethical or social aspects in accessing content
* Tools, APIs and indexing for researching web archives
* Research opportunities and challenges presented by web archives
Web archive histories and futures
* Initiatives and collaborations
* Web archive stories and histories
* National web domains
* Web archives as repositories of ‘truth’
The programme committee invite proposals for:
* 30 minute presentations (i.e., 20 minutes for presentation plus 10 minutes for questions)
* 60 minute panel discussions or multi-presentations
* Conference themed workshops (proposed length to be agreed with organisers)
* Tutorials focusing on particular tools (proposed length to be agreed with organisers)
* Posters with accompanying 5 minute lightning talks
Proposals for presentations and panels must be submitted as an abstract of between 300 and 500 words. Proposals for workshops and tutorials should be 800 to 1,000 words and include information about coordinators, format, target participant numbers and technical requirements. Proposals should demonstrate how the presentation, panel or workshop contributes to understanding web archiving histories or futures and the general themes relating to building, maintaining and researching web archives. Proposal should be accompanied by 3 to 5 keywords. Based on the abstracts, the programme committee may invite the submission of full papers for future publication.
Please submit your proposals using EasyChair http://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=iipc2018
For questions, please e-mail [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
The deadline for submissions is 12 March 2018. All submissions will be reviewed by the WAC18 Programme Committee and submitters will be notified by 16 April 2018.
For more information and updates, see:
http://netpreserve.org/ga2018<http://netpreserve.org/ga2018/> @NetPreserve<https://twitter.com/NetPreserve> #iipcWAC18<https://twitter.com/hashtag/iipcwac18>