Call for Proposals: SWIB18 - 10th Semantic Web in Libraries Conference
26.11. - 28.11.2018, Bonn, Germany
Submission Deadline: 13 May 2018
SWIB conference (Semantic Web in Libraries) is an annual conference, being held for the 10th time, focusing on Linked Open Data (LOD) in libraries and related organizations. It is well established as an event where IT staff, developers, librarians, and researchers from over the world meet and mingle and learn from each other. The topics of talks and workshops at SWIB revolve around opening data, linking data and creating tools and software for LOD production scenarios. These areas of focus are supplemented by presentations of research projects in applied sciences, industry applications, and LOD activities in other areas.
As usual, SWIB18 will be organized by the ZBW - German National Library of Economics / Leibniz Information Centre for Economics and the North Rhine-Westphalian Library Service Centre (hbz). The conference language is English.
Would you like to share your experiences working on an interesting service, research topic or project - not just what you did, but also how you did it? Would you like to offer a hands-on pre-conference tutorial or workshop on the afternoon of November 26?
We appreciate proposals on the following or related topics:
Projects & Applications
* integration of LOD into productive library applications
* authorities & knowledge organization systems (thesauri, classifications, ontologies)
* re-use of LOD (from libraries, Wikidata and other sources)
* presenting & visualizing LOD
* end-user environments for interaction with LOD (e.g. editing or annotation)
* crowdsourcing/gamification approaches involving LOD sources
* linked research & open science
Technology (focus on Open Source software)
* semantically enhanced data publication
* machine learning for automatic indexing & named entity recognition
* data transformation/integration/cleansing/enhancement/mapping/interlinking
* RDF validation
* data flow management
* read/write linked data
* linked data & library systems
Standards & Best Practices
* open web standards relevant for libraries
* application profiles & provenance information
* providing updates & syncing data sources
* preservation & sustainability
* open data licensing
We are looking forward to receiving your proposals for presentations or workshops by *13 May 2018*. Please submit an abstract of 1000-1500 characters using our conference system at https://www.conftool.net/swib18. If you intend to present a specific software solution please include links to the source code repository and make sure it is openly licensed (https://opensource.org/licenses).
Proposals will be reviewed by the SWIB programme committee:
* Uldis Bojars (National Library of Latvia)
* Valentine Charles (Europeana Foundation, Netherlands)
* Christina Harlow (Cornell University Library, USA)
* Jana Hentschke (German National Library)
* Niklas Lindström (National Library of Sweden)
* Devika Madalli (Indian Statistical Institute)
* Joachim Neubert (ZBW, Germany - Chair)
* Adrian Pohl (hbz, Germany - Chair)
* Dorothea Salo (UW-Madison, USA)
* MJ Suhonos (Ryerson University, Canada)
* Osma Suominen (National Library of Finland)
* Jakob Voß (GBV Common Library Network, Germany)
We also have space left for satellite events in the morning of November 26. Contact us if you want to seize the opportunity to get together in the context of SWIB18.
Take a look at previous SWIB conferences at http://swib.org/swib18/history.
Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions: