Human Resources website (hr.wustl.edu)
To apply, visit: https://jobs.wustl.edu/
Job ID 39640
Under the direction of the Associate University Librarian for Special Collections Services Division, is responsible for the development and operation of a library-wide, comprehensive preservation and digitization program. Leads and manages all preservation/conservation and digitization efforts, including the management of general and special collection care and digitization activities, preservation/digitization lab and services, disaster planning and recovery, environmental monitoring, exhibition preparation activities, and education and outreach efforts. Leads staff responsible for all aspects of Preservation and Digitization.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Provides leadership and direction for a library-wide, comprehensive preservation and digitization program, including establishing goals, objectives, and plans, and managing budget allocations in support of related activities. Identifies potential grant resources. Develops grant proposals for library collection preservation, conservation, and digitization in collaboration with Library administration and relevant staff.
Supervises professional and support staff and provides overall directions for a diverse group of staff within a collaborative environment. Manages an efficient and effective team through engagement in strategic planning, assessment, and reporting. Effectively coaches, delegates and empowers team members to make independent decisions at appropriate operational levels and holds team members accountable. Leads the department by example, establishing workloads and procedures, delegating responsibility, providing guidance and direction, monitoring and evaluating performance, coaching and counseling, as needed.
Conservation, exhibition, digitization, and overall preservation of (non-audiovisual) materials from special and general collections based on current archival and conservation practices. This includes the management and coordination of preservation and digitization assessment surveys, staff and user education training, preservation and digitization out sourcing, environmental monitoring of collection and exhibition spaces, and disaster response and recovery.
Collaborates with Special Collections staff and subject librarians to develop preservation and digitization plans for all collections and to set priorities. Collaborates with Digital Scholarship and Technology Services staff on digital preservation planning that focuses on all phases of the digital life cycle in order to ensure long-term access to library digital assets.
As a member of administration, actively participates in Library Management Council (LMC). Participates in library-wide and university-wide activities, committees, special projects and programs, as assigned. Perform other duties as assigned.
· Master’s degree in relevant field and/or 5+ years of equivalent experience.
· Demonstrated experience providing effective leadership and supervision in academic library or similar setting.
· In-depth knowledge of preservation and digitization standards and an understanding of emerging trends.
· Experience with development and/or management of preservation and/or digitization workflow´s.
· Experience working effectively with and collaboratively with peers, donors, collectors and scholars.
· Experience building strong internal and external relationships.
· Strong interpersonal skills with ability to work successfully in an intensely collaborative environment with a broad range of people from culturally diverse backgrounds including colleagues, administrators, students, faculty, donors, and alumni.
· Ability to manage professional library staff.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
· Ability to thrive and lead during organizational change.
· Excellent organization skills and effectiveness in balancing multiple assignments/projects.
· Ability to articulate vision for the value of special collection and archive to learning, research, teaching, and community engagement.
· Demonstrated experience in leadership roles in projects that advance the library/ archive profession.
· Demonstrated experience with preservation techniques.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: https://jobs.code4lib.org/jobs/29146-head-of-preservation-and-digitization