[The following position announcement is being forwarded upon request. --ELM]
Manager, Library Software Engineering
Duties & Responsibilities
Reporting to the Director for Library Architecture and Engineering in Library Technology Services (LTS), the Manager is a member of a high performing leadership team which focuses on the development of powerful solutions to fulfill the mission of the Harvard Library: to advance scholarship and teaching through the collection, creation, application, preservation, and dissemination of knowledge. The Manager supervises a team of library software engineers responsible for developing, enhancing, and maintaining an extensive portfolio of Library applications and platforms. The Manager collaborates with staff in LTS and in the Harvard Library (HL) as well as staff in Harvard University Information Technology's (HUIT) Academic Technology team.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions*):
The core responsibility of this position is to work as a member of the LTS senior team with a focus on development of software solutions in partnership with staff in the Harvard Library. With the Director, the Manager co-manages a team of 12+ digital library software engineers with direct responsibility for supervising the work of 7+ engineers. Plays a lead role in building relationships within the Harvard Library to actively engage library staff experts in the development of high quality solutions; works closely with Harvard Library staff on technology planning for discovery and access to digital library collections and builds external relationships with peer institutions that are leading innovation in open source library solutions and open access to digital content.
Responsibilities Include The Following
* Manage library software engineers. Allocates and schedules staff resources (regular and contingent labor) for development projects, technical design reviews and inspection of the quality of completed work. Hire, train and develop staff.
* Manage projects ranging from single person efforts to large scale projects that require input from committees of staff across the university and implementation staff from multiple groups within LTS
* Work as trusted advisor with staff throughout the libraries and HUIT, providing leadership, technical expertise, and analysis for various technology related projects.
* Participate in strategic and tactical planning discussions and review meetings for projects relating to the strategic goals of Harvard Library and HUIT, such as the Academic Technology Working Group, the IIIF/Mirador Working Group, and Library working groups on digital libraries, linked open data, and special collections.
* Master's degree in library or information science, computer science or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and progressively responsible IT experience, required
* Experience must include 5 years of experience managing software engineers on high performing teams
* Experience in planning, executing, and managing complex computer software development and integration projects for complex enterprise information systems
* Solid knowledge of server and storage architectures, as well as cloud based solutions; including authentication, authorization, account provisioning, identity management, and directory services, and proven experience designing system that integrate with / incorporate these services
* Proven ability to capture, document and convey complex business needs and processes, translate them into functional requirements and system specifications, and develop a supporting technical design at an abstract level, and detailed technical specifications (including choice of implementation technologies)
* Demonstrated ability to deliver results in a complex and demand driven environment, working collaboratively with diverse stakeholders, colleagues at peer institutions and open source communities
* Experienced with Agile methodologies, processes and tools
* Strong written, interpersonal and presentation communication skills
* Knowledge of key trends in digital developments in research libraries including open source community projects, linked open data, bibliographic standards, metadata schemas, and digital repositories
* Sophisticated understanding of how information is organized and used to support the academic and research missions of the university
* The successful manager will enjoy working with a broad set of constituents
* Collaborates actively with other members of senior team
* Understands other leaders' perspectives and leverages other member's expertise in decision making
* Establishes clear direction and communicates strategy
* Leads team working toward common goals
Fosters HUIT management competencies:
* Lives the HUIT mission and values
* Allocates resources effectively
* Manages change
* Builds a high performing team
* Please note: Harvard University requires pre-employment reference and background screening.
* Harvard University Information Technology is unable to provide work authorization and/or visa sponsorship.
* This position has a 180-day orientation and review period.
Harvard Offers An Outstanding Benefits Package Including
Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Join Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) to assure Harvard's leadership in IT!
More About HUIT
Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) is responsible for the strategy, planning, and delivery of information technology across the University.
To assure Harvard's leadership in IT: We strive to make it easier for faculty, students, and staff to teach, research, learn, and work through the effective use of information technology.
USA - MA - Cambridge
Library Technology Services
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.