Columbia University Libraries seeks a motivated and collaborative Systems Engineer to join the Unix Systems Group in the Libraries Information Technology (LIT) division.
Reporting to the Senior Systems Engineer, the Systems Engineer will design, develop and deploy Unix server and storage systems and perform maintenance and security updates as required. Additionally, the incumbent will document and provide support for a variety of innovative projects and services within the Libraries as well as collaborate on specialized projects with various departments across the organization as needed.
Detailed responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Designing, installing, documenting, monitoring, optimizing, and maintaining Linux (primarily CentOS) servers.
- Monitoring, troubleshooting, and documenting some Linux servers maintained by CUIT.
- Modifying, testing, implementing, troubleshooting, and documenting both vendor-supplied and in-house applications on servers.
- Managing security policies, access permissions and disaster recovery for mission-critical data on servers and desktop systems.
- Collaborating on projects and related activities with other units, Columbia University IT (CUIT), other schools and departments at Columbia, and outside institutions.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
As one of the world's leading research universities, Columbia University in the City of New York provides outstanding opportunities to work and grow in a dynamic multicultural intellectual community. The Columbia University Libraries comprises a diverse, collegial and engaged staff committed to furthering the University's teaching and research mission through innovation, leadership, collaboration and professionalism.
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and strongly encourages individuals of all backgrounds and cultures to consider this position.
- Bachelor's degree, or its equivalent, and a minimum two years' related experience required.
- Knowledge of Unix/Linux environment.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of programming principles and at least one higher-level programming language.
- Must be able to balance priorities and meet deadlines on multiple tasks.
- Commitment to supporting and working in a diverse environment.
- Experience with CentOS, cloud services (AWS), virtualization (xen, vmware), configuration management (Saltstack, Ansible), Python, relational databases, storage management, source control (git), web services (nginx/apache, haproxy, varnish).
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: https://jobs.code4lib.org/jobs/31289-systems-engineer