About the Position
The Library Technology Labs Coordinator position will manage resources, policies, and activities that pertain to the technology and fabrication labs in King Library including a large circulating technology collection. This position works to develop policies and guidelines for the use of devices and labs; oversees technology and equipment inventories; maintains student assistant and purchasing budgets for these areas; schedules and oversees students assistants; advises on the installation, configuration, and modification of equipment and associated software; teaches and maintains safety in assigned areas; and works with faculty and staff in the library and on campus to develop curriculum and programming for these areas. The incumbent in this position provides high-level support and expert advice to the Department Head in developing, planning and implementing new technologies, technology-enabled spaces and related policies and procedures for the Information Technology Services department.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Manage Student Computing Services (SCS), which includes planning, organizing, leading,
delegating and setting priorities for public service and technical functions in that area.
- Collaboratively improve and manage the library's AR/VR lab including equipment, service
provision and outreach programming.
- Collaboratively create, improve and manage an innovative interdisciplinary space using new
tools of rapid prototyping and digitally driven software including machine shop tools, laser
cutters, milling machines, 3D printers, injection molding machines, woodworking tools,
electronic bench supplies, and computers (Mac, PC, SoC).
- Determines and establishes loan rules and use policies for technology spaces, collections, and
resources. Applies policies and recommends changes as determined by user input, data
analysis and current trends.
- Advises and oversees the installation, configuration, and modification of equipment and
- Maintains circulating technology records in the ILS (Alma).
- Compiles reports and analyzes technology circulation and usage statistics to determine service
and inventory improvements.
- Establishes written processes and procedures and execute training on specialized equipment
- Train and review SJSU student assistants who provide services in a variety of
technology labs. Instructs, assigns and supervises daily tasks in order to maintain level of
productivity and quality.
- Manages budget related to annual equipment and student assistant allocations to ensure
expenditures stay within budget and schedules student assistants to maintain consistent help
throughout the year.
- Creates statistical reports through maintaining daily records of activities regarding the use of
lab equipment, tools, and supplies to be able to develop strategies for queuing jobs and using
resources in a sustainable way.
- Provides first level technical support for hardware and software issues with laptops, tablets and
other equipment on the phone and on-site. Trains student assistants to provide basic technical
assistance on phone or on-site.
- Perform checks of equipment, perform routine maintenance, and work with outside vendors.
- Enforces policies and procedures regarding safety, training and access to technology spaces.
- Monitors and maintains self-checkout lockers. Applies policies and recommends changes to
loan rules and inventory as determined by user input, data analysis and current trends.
Required Education and Experience
High school education or equivalent certification and four years of related library and/or clerical experience or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated experience working with or knowledge of makerspaces and/or rapid prototyping
tools such as 3D printers, laser cutters, lathes, milling, injection molding, PCB fabrication, etc.
- Demonstrated skill in evaluating, comparing and selecting off the shelf and open source
software solutions for applications in makerspaces, computer labs, etc.
- Experience projecting, maintaining and reporting staffing and equipment budgets.
- Experience maintaining items in an ILS/inventory control system.
- 2 years experience supervising student assistants and/or staff.
Classification: Library Services Specialist IV
Salary Range: $3,571/month - $6,692/month
FLSA status: Non-Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
Application Screening begins October 26, 2018.
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a driminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: https://jobs.code4lib.org/jobs/31280-library-technology-labs-coordinator