The Vassar College Libraries seek a Metadata Librarian to oversee cataloging and description of library materials in a variety of formats. Reporting to the Head of Acquisitions and Discovery, the Metadata Librarian supervises two (2) staff members working on cataloging serials and monographic collections and works in partnership with colleagues throughout the Vassar College Libraries to ensure a consistent and user-centered approach to description and cataloging. The Metadata Librarian works closely with technologists and other library colleagues to ensure that all of Vassar's collections are easily discoverable via the Libraries' discovery tools. The incumbent catalogs materials requiring advanced knowledge, including unique and rare materials as well as digital collections. The Metadata Librarian seeks to create efficiencies through automated processes and applies crosswalks to manipulate metadata in a variety of formats. The incumbent maintains advanced knowledge of emerging trends in metadata practices.
- Detailed knowledge of cataloging practices and standards, including MARC, MODS, LCSH, LC, AACR2/RDA, the DCRM suite, and Dublin Core.
- Knowledge of semantic web practices and linked data.
- At least one year of experience supervising and training staff.
- Advanced knowledge of library cataloging tools, particularly Innovative Interface's Sierra.
- Knowledge of common automation and data manipulation tools, such as MARCEdit and OpenRefine.
- Experience with metadata transformations and crosswalks using technologies like XSLT/XPATH.
- Experience with harvesting technologies standards such as OAI-PMH.
- Advanced knowledge of OCLC tools and services.
- Ability to collaborate across multiple constituencies.
- Excellent communications skills and a willingness to work closely with colleagues in other departments.
- Bibliographic knowledge of foreign language(s) desirable.
- Consistent accuracy and attention to detail while maintaining a high level of productivity.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member in a rapidly changing environment.
- A masters degree in library or information science.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: https://jobs.code4lib.org/jobs/31262-metadata-librarian