The University of South Carolina Libraries invites applications for the position of Data and Information Visualization Librarian. We are seeking an energetic, innovative, flexible and service-oriented individual to join the new Digital Research Services Team, which includes the Scholarly Communication Librarian, Research Data Librarian, and Digital Collections Librarian. Reporting to the Director of Digital Research, the Data Visualization Librarian will develop programs and services to support the data visualization needs of students and faculty at the University of South Carolina. The Librarian will work closely with others throughout the University Libraries to increase understanding of data visualization and geospatial data issues pertaining to research and teaching on campus. The librarian will be responsible for developing, assessing, and curating geospatial data collections and associated software for the Libraries. The librarian will also design and deliver consulting services and workshops to faculty and students and will collaborate with other campus units providing GIS support.
Responsibilities will include:
· Support and contribute expertise to students and faculty across campus with their data visualization research and practice via consultations, workshops. and online tutorials.
· Develop new services to assist faculty., students, and staff in finding and applying geospatial data.
· Support current and emerging research, teaching, and creative activities in digital research on campus.
· Collaborate with other USC librarians to develop and offer software instruction to support teaching, learning, and research; contribute to the broad range of data services that support academic researchers; and integrate data visualization services that support academic researchers; and integrate data visualization services with existing services within the libraries.
· Market and promote digital research services to data visualization across campus, and engage with campus partners to make digital and scholarly data discoverable accessible, and reusable while adhering to standards and best practices relating to data ethics, privacy, and data security in the research environment.
· Collaborate on the development and implementation of library and university projects that involve the use of geospatial data.
· Actively engage in conversations and forums around data visualization on a national and international basis.
Required Education and Experience
· Proven understanding of best practices for creating effective visualizations. Experience or knowledge of the academic research process. Demonstrated commitment to the provision of high-quality public service. Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills. Ability to work cooperatively and collegially at all levels in a culturally diverse and rapidly changing environment. Strong written and oral communication skills and the ability to develop clear, concise and accurate technical documentation.
GISP certification; One to three years of relevant academic library experience; Experience with data cleanup techniques and tools such as OpenRefine; Experience or knowledge of principles of information literacy and how they can be applied in an academic setting; Ability to work independently and effectively with technology in a fast-paced environment while managing competing priorities; Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with common quantitative research methodologies and descriptive statistics, including data analysis tools & techniques.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: https://jobs.code4lib.org/jobs/31614-data-and-information-visualization-librarian